HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

New Premium Theme: Silicon!

Comments

• 422422 Developer MVP

@wweovn peddle your SPAM elsewhere

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• 422 said:
    @wweovn peddle your SPAM elsewhere

Nuked :-D

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

That's a truly amazing theme!

By the way: I think it is a mess to build a unique looking side on top of a full blown CSS file, although it might be easier to maintain and also a help at first. But in the end you are always looking why an element doesn't behave the way you expect it to do or trying to kill some "important"s

• jspautschjspautsch Themester ✭✭✭

Thanks!

@R_J said:
    By the way: I think it is a mess to build a unique looking side on top of a full blown CSS file, although it might be easier to maintain and also a help at first. But in the end you are always looking why an element doesn't behave the way you expect it to do or trying to kill some "important"s

That was my logic when I first made Silicon. Modifying style.css meant I could make the theme with much fewer lines of CSS and spend less time squashing inherited rules. However, it also made upgrading to 2.1 virtually impossible. The HTML structure in 2.1 changed dramatically and thus made the entire stylesheet useless. I would either have to try and update the old stylesheet, which would lead to more and more visual bugs cropping up as time goes on, or try and hunt down and re-apply my changes from scratch onto the 2.1 style.css (which then just repeats the cycle).

So, in the interest of maintainability, I decided to go with the custom.css override file that most themes work with. Ultimately, Vanilla is pretty lightweight and the few more CSS lines I have to add have a negligible impact on performance, so it's not really worth fussing over. Plus, I have very limited free time as it is, so if people ever want to see updates to Silicon, this is the only way I can do it. ;) I had considered ending support for Silicon for that very reason, so this is a nice compromise.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@R_J said:

The one time I wrote a theme from scratch, I unloaded the base style.css file via a themehook. Saved me a lot of headache come time for upgrades.

That said, I am a pretty crappy designer. XD

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

@hgtonight said:
    The one time I wrote a theme from scratch, I unloaded the base style.css file via a themehook. Saved me a lot of headache come time for upgrades.

Actually, Vanilla will do this for you. If you call your theme's CSS file "style.css," it won't load Vanilla's default style at all (as opposed to when it's called "custom.css").

edited July 2014

Good news, I've finished the new Silicon theme! The update is currently pending on Themeforest, but for now you can check out the live preview here: http://secondwindprojects.com/silicon/ I don't know about you, but I think the new design is leagues ahead of the original version.

Let me know if you spot any bugs. A few always manage to get past me.

Well shoot that was fast, it's already been approved.

• I like the way you designed the dates. very nice.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

This looks great!

I created an account to look around, but I don't think the mail server is set up right. Do you have a test account for logging in an looking around the entire frontend?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

edited July 2014

@hgtonight said:
    This looks great!

I created an account to look around, but I don't think the mail server is set up right. Do you have a test account for logging in an looking around the entire frontend?

Whoops, my bad. It should be working now, but I'll create a test account anyway.

[edit] Account credentials are test/password, but I don't want to allow the account to post, so it's not super useful.

Some bugs/issues I had (only tested on FF 30.0)

• When viewing a message, the Delete Conversation button text pops out of the side menu when it is in the side menu
    • Adding a user to the conversation causes the progress icon to show, it is not centered in the button block
    • Side Menu Navigation Pills conflict with the avatar and change picture styles in the profile page
    • The Side Menu Navigation pills conflict with the 'Recent Discussions' filter styles. This might be intentional, but I don't like it ;)
    • On a long discussion, the pagination list's and little quote icon's buffer doesn't match up
    • Bottom pagination is not centered in the pill shaped hole

I really like the subtle read/unread styling on the left side of the discussions list.

Search first

I like that theme of yours best! Here are some things I've noted (Firefox 24.6):

Tablet screen width

http://secondwindprojects.com/silicon
    With open menu you can see that the highlighted "recent discussion" has a wrong height

http://secondwindprojects.com/silicon/discussion/6/suspendisse-eu-aliquam-lectus/p1
    Pagination is broken if you change between the pages

Anywhere: Open the side menu and try to scroll right – it works and so scrolls the content behind the menu

Phone screen width

http://secondwindprojects.com/silicon/profile/preferences/10/test
    Checkboxes are not where they are supposed to be

Consistency

In http://secondwindprojects.com/silicon/categories the symbol for a discussion is one speech bubble and for comments it is two speech bubbles. In http://secondwindprojects.com/silicon/ the number of comments is preceeded with the one speech bubble icon

Buttons on http://secondwindprojects.com/silicon/profile/edit have nearly the same color as input boxes. On http://secondwindprojects.com/silicon/activity and popup boxes they are dark blue.
    The "Browse..." button here http://secondwindprojects.com/silicon/profile/picture is not styled at all, but it seems as if this is a Vanilla/File Upload problem?

"Quote" link is verbose for a discussion but iconized for comments.

In multi page discussions, pager and that nice "here come the comments!"-symbol don't have the same height.

Matter of taste

Contrast between alternating items is very low, so I would add some space between comments, discussions in discussion index and activity posts to separate them clearly

I don't like that the date in a discussion/comment is floated in the Body and not part of the Discussion/CommentHeader

edited July 2014

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I've created a list of known issues and will get to them as soon as I can.

@hgtonight said:

• When viewing a message, the Delete Conversation button text pops out of the side menu when it is in the side menu

This is a really bizarre issue, not sure why it's happening or why only in FF. I'll take a look at it, but might have to change how the sidebar is hidden instead. I still don't have the sidebar behavior working perfectly (if the list of items in the sidebar goes below the screen, you can't scroll down to see it, also for some reason it allows you to scroll right on mobile even though that content is set to hide overflow), so I'll have to keep playing with it until I discover the perfect combination.

@hgtonight said:
    Side Menu Navigation Pills conflict with the avatar and change picture styles in the profile page

Could you elaborate on this one? Not quite sure what you mean.

@hgtonight said:
    The Side Menu Navigation pills conflict with the 'Recent Discussions' filter styles. This might be intentional, but I don't like it ;)

Yeah it's whatever, it was just a space-saving measure. If I can get the side menu to scroll properly, there won't be a need for it anymore.

@hgtonight said:
    On a long discussion, the pagination list's and little quote icon's buffer doesn't match up
    Bottom pagination is not centered in the pill shaped hole

Can you elaborate on both of these? Maybe provide screenshots?

@R_J said:
    With open menu you can see that the highlighted "recent discussion" has a wrong height

Snap. Silly Firefox. Looks like these pills are more trouble than they're worth.

@R_J said:
    Pagination is broken if you change between the pages
    Checkboxes are not where they are supposed to be

Am not able to reproduce these issues, can you provide screenshots?

@R_J said:
    The "Browse..." button here http://secondwindprojects.com/silicon/profile/picture is not styled at all, but it seems as if this is a Vanilla/File Upload problem?

Yeah I can't style that button. :(

@R_J said:
    Contrast between alternating items is very low, so I would add some space between comments, discussions in discussion index and activity posts to separate them clearly

I think the contrast is secondary, the same design could be done with no alternating colors and the amount of padding between items would still make it easy to separate them visually. But I'll try slightly increasing the contrast.

@R_J said:
    I don't like that the date in a discussion/comment is floated in the Body and not part of the Discussion/CommentHeader

Not sure what you mean here. The "date box" is actually floated above both of them, so it should align perfectly with the top-right corner of the comment box (so it looks as if it's in the header and then extends slightly down into the body as well). Maybe provide a screenshot so I can make sure it's lining up the way it should.

It's like you've said: date is inside of the comment.

I just meant that I prefer to have it only in the header and not even the small part of it in the body.

The checkboxes in the Notification Preferences only look awkward if you scale the screen to mobile screen width (that's what I was looking at your theme with at first).

And speaking of mobile: the theme isn't usable at all with my Opera mobile browser (too many faults to list...) :(

What's strange is, that I can't recreate the "Recent Discussion" height problem, although I've seen that issue 6 hours ago every time I was hovering over "Recent Discussion".

edited July 2014

@R_J said:
    It's like you've said: date is inside of the comment.
    I just meant that I prefer to have it only in the header and not even the small part of it in the body.

Ah, I see. Well, I'm chalking this up to personal preference, as I rather like the way it is. ;) Plus for it to be moved to ONLY the header, I'd either have to make the header much taller (and I don't want to do that, at least not on the desktop view, it's already that way in mobile), or make the date box much smaller (can't do that, the text will be too small to read).

The checkboxes in the Notification Preferences only look awkward if you scale the screen to mobile screen width (that's what I was looking at your theme with at first).

Ah yes, stupid tables. I'll see if I can figure out how to fix that. [Edit] Now fixed!

And speaking of mobile: the theme isn't usable at all with my Opera mobile browser (too many faults to list...) :(

Really? Which OS? I tried Opera Mini on iOS and it worked fine.

What's strange is, that I can't recreate the "Recent Discussion" height problem, although I've seen that issue 6 hours ago every time I was hovering over "Recent Discussion".

That's because I fixed it. ;) Full list of fixes:

Fixed:

• In multi page discussions, aligned page control height with icon height.
    • Fixed "Recent Discussions" link having wrong height in collapsed sidebar in FireFox.
    • Slightly increased contrast between all alternating items.
    • Made comment icon consistent across theme (now mutli-comment icon for comments and single-comment icon for discussions).
    • Quote link in discussion header is now an icon.
    • Fixed issue where user could scroll right when sidebar was open to reveal hidden content.
    • Sidebar can now scroll when content exceeds its height
    • Removed sidebar pill boxes in favor of consistent link style
    • Fixed issue where the Delete Conversation button would be visible when the sidebar was closed in FireFox
    • Redesigned the Edit Profile page with a white content box to differentiate fields and buttons.
    • Fixed issue where notification options went beyond the page in mobile views.

Opera Mobile, Android 4.3

Seems like the icons are not loaded and the status bar at the bottom behaves strange

@R_J said:
    Opera Mobile, Android 4.3

Do you have the latest versions of both? I'm seeing that some users have issues with Font Awesome in Opera Mobile, but I haven't found anyone who's been able to track down the problem yet.