Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Category reorder not saving new order

Hello, I recently ran into an issue where the category reorder function will not save after it has been moved. For example, I create a new category, which works OK. I attempt to move it to make it a different heading or sub-category, and it shows that it has moved in the dashboard. Once I refresh the dashboard, the recently moved category goes back to the top of the category list. It will not save the new category location and keeps reverting back to the original location when it's created.

I have done many searches in this community forum with no luck. I've searched google and updated the jquery.js in library file back to 1.6.2 as per recommendations from others and that didn't work. I've tried Chrome, Internet Explorer and 2 different computers and all have same issue. I backed up and restored and that didn't help. I've found that if I delete the last 1 or 2 categories that I created, it will save the re-order 1 time. Any other time after that it does not save the new category order. I have also deleted all cache on my computer. I am very close to finishing my new forum, but I cannot complete until I can re-order the categories, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

I am using software 2.1, installed through Go Daddy. Chrome browser. If any more information is needed please let me know. Again, thank you in advance for any help!

Comments

• how many categories do you have? Perhaps it is due to a large number of categories.

and I wouldn't change the jquery version - I would use what came with vanilla 2.1

also what is in you config.php related to categories,

e.g. These statements affect whether Root Categories are headings

does it show
    $Configuration['Vanilla']['Categories']['DoHeadings'] = '1';

or NOT

$Configuration['Vanilla']['Categories']['DoHeadings'] = 'FALSE';

do you have the same issue with all plugins disabled.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

you can also check your console for error messages in js when moving a category.

and also look at the
    POST sortcategories.json headers return values responses etc. to see if it gives you any clues.

it appears to be failing somewhere related to that is my guess.

all of it is basically controlled via categories.js which issues the POST

if you have lots of categories and that is the reason it fails, perhaps there is some artificial limit placed on json length that truncates the post or some part of it.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Something similar happened to me a while back and it was traced to a plugin such as cleditor's js and or emotify . It is definitely some jquery interfering with the jquery for the sortables....

• Thank you for your responses!!!!

First, I am new to all of this stuff. I know nothing about coding and I chose to use Vanilla for my forum software because it has a nice GUI and is very easy to use plugins, change, themes, etc... I started with phpbb but found that I had to do a lot of code tweaking to get stuff how I want. With Vanilla, I don't, and I like the usability and look of it.

With that said.

@peregrine said:
    how many categories do you have? Perhaps it is due to a large number of categories.

and I wouldn't change the jquery version - I would use what came with vanilla 2.1

also what is in you config.php related to categories,

e.g. These statements affect whether Root Categories are headings

does it show
    $Configuration['Vanilla']['Categories']['DoHeadings'] = '1';

or NOT

$Configuration['Vanilla']['Categories']['DoHeadings'] = 'FALSE';

do you have the same issue with all plugins disabled.

I have 201 categories. Maybe there is a limit if 200? It does seem to stop sorting after I reach 200... I reverted back to all original files that were originally installed. I disabled all plugins and it has the same problem.

$Configuration shows this in config.php
    $Configuration['Vanilla']['Categories']['Layout'] = 'table';
    $Configuration['Vanilla']['Categories']['MaxDisplayDepth'] = '2';
    $Configuration['Vanilla']['Categories']['DoHeadings'] = FALSE;
    $Configuration['Vanilla']['Categories']['HideModule'] = '1';

@peregrine said:
    you can also check your console for error messages in js when moving a category.

and also look at the
    POST sortcategories.json headers return values responses etc. to see if it gives you any clues.

it appears to be failing somewhere related to that is my guess.

all of it is basically controlled via categories.js which issues the POST

if you have lots of categories and that is the reason it fails, perhaps there is some artificial limit placed on json length that truncates the post or some part of it.

By checking my console, do you mean the dashboard? When reordering the categories in the Dashboard there is nothing abnormal going on it shows that the category has been moved. However, it's when I attempt to view the change on the actual site and/or of I refresh the Dashboard, it automatically moves the newly moved category back to the top of the list making it a main category or header.

"POST sortcategories.json headers return values responses etc. to see if it gives you any clues." - I don't know what this means or how to do this. Sorry, I am new to this and I know nothing about coding or debugging and the like.

@vrijvlinder said:
    Something similar happened to me a while back and it was traced to a plugin such as cleditor's js and or emotify . It is definitely some jquery interfering with the jquery for the sortables....

I disabled all plugins and still have same problem. It is fishy that it seems to start having this problem once I hit 200 categories, perhaps there is a category limit that I've reached.

Again, thank you so much for your responses and attempting to help me out. Your time is very much appreciated.

• @jcaryl said:
    Thank you for your responses!!!!
    With that said.

By checking my console, do you mean the dashboard?

No ... There are 3 major browsers 2 of them have a console that tells you what goes on in the background (Firefox and Chrome) don't know how I does it ...

Everything regarding sorting, reordering has to do with Javascript, jquery to be more precise ... The console tells you if everything goes OK while reordering

Do you have lots of nested categories?

"POST sortcategories.json headers return values responses etc. to see if it gives you any clues.".

So ... take a look in that console and copy / paste the information in the 'headers' section after you reorder

You don't have to answer this one, but why so many categories?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• OK, the problem was definitely because I had too many categories. I deleted a bunch and now I have no problems. I was under the impression that you could have unlimited? As to why I have so many... part OCD, part grand ideas :)

Thank you for your help!

• Do you have a backup of the old database with 200 categories? Need it for possible bug report.
    Great that it works with less categories

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

• having 200 categories will not make your site navigable, it will create cul-de-sac.

Use non-hierarchal means like tagging.

grep is your friend.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

There is a soft limit of 200 categories due to the way sorting is determined and the way PHP is set up by default.

See here for more information: https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/issues/1888

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

@hgtonight - here is what I'm willing to do. You take the "code diver badge" for diving into code and figuring the actual cause for issue, and I'll just stick to the "mind-reading badge" that it may have been a result of too many categories. Other respondents in post choose your appropriate badge. :)

vri - you can choose the shade of red for the herring :)

r_j - this was your chance. :wink:

it was a pink herring no? too many cats makes jquery choke

• too many cats makes jquery choke

that would be eating crow (not cats). no?

• Thank you again for all of your responses. I have deleted and combined/condensed a bunch of categories and it's working great. Not quite sure what tags are but I will figure it out.

Tags are another way to categorize