HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla 2.1 Stable - User Passwords Don't Work*

FerrariSteveFerrariSteve Seattle
edited July 2014 in Feedback

Running 2.1 Stable, fresh install, and user passwords don't work. Users can register and post, but if they come back after signing out, they can't get back in without resetting their password... which also logs them in, but only until they go away again.

Tagged:

Comments

• FerrariSteveFerrariSteve Seattle

This happens with both Firefox and Chrome.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

I know one other person with this problem and would appreciate @Tim shed some light on how he fixed it for this forum...it was happening here too about a month ago

• That would suggest an issue with the hmac comparison, or possibly an encoding issue.

grep is your friend.

• Is this a public site? A link would help.

grep is your friend.

Yep - public. Feel free to sign up and test it out.

http://smarthomehub.net

Thanks! I'm already getting user complaints, and people signing up with multiple accounts. Ugh.

Decided to start disabling plugins to test (same approach as WordPress issues) Alphabetically, disabled Aelia Foundation Classes Plugin (which I was running so I could also run Aelia Advanced Analytics... also disabled), and the problem went away. Double-checked by turning it back on and then off again.

Aelia Foundation Classes Plugins is causing the issue.

• grep is your friend.

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

I haven't tested the AFC on the latest version of Vanilla, it's possible that there is some bug hidden somewhere (even though the plugin doesn't do anything when it's enabled, especially not related to the login. It just provides classes for other plugins).

@businessdad said:
    I haven't tested the AFC on the latest version of Vanilla, it's possible that there is some bug hidden somewhere (even though the plugin doesn't do anything when it's enabled, especially not related to the login. It just provides classes for other plugins).

Hi, @businessdad - thanks for jumping in the convo!

I'm happy to help test on 2.1, but all I know for sure is that trying to log in with the plugin enabled creates what I believe is a transient key issue (error is "Please try again" and not "Invalid Password"), and trying to log in with nothing different except the plugin disabled works fine.

Disabling only the Google Analytics plugin is not enough to fix the issue. Disabling the Foundation Classes plugin is the one that makes the difference.

@FerrariSteve thanks for the feedback. I will take note of it, but it may take me a while before I can look into it. Most of the time I still work with Vanilla 2.0, I don't have any 2.1 site active yet, therefore testing will have to wait.

You might want to try the latest version of the plugin, which you can find on BitBucket: https://bitbucket.org/businessdad/aelia-foundation-classes/src. I made several changes to it, but I didn't upload the plugin to the repository due to lack of time.

Thx. The more I hang out here... the more it sounds like I should have gone with 2.0. ;)

@FerrariSteve said:
    Thx. The more I hang out here... the more it sounds like I should have gone with 2.0. ;)

2.1 is the official version now. The issue is that there is no guarantee of backward compatibility, nor a clear definition of what changed, therefore upgrading a plugin means two things:

• No way back.
    • Trial and error to find possible issues.

These two ingredients don't go well with a lack of spare time, unfortunately...

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

no. in the long run 2.1 is much, much better. you just have to pay attention to

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/26703/plugins-themes-that-work-and-don-t-work-in-vanilla-2-1

as well as learning how to debug blank pages, whoops and unsuccessfuls

with troubleshooting tips here:

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/26685/vanilla-2-1-stable-released

and here:

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/188810/#Comment_188810

the main issue is since 2.1 is the last stable version.

All plugins in the add-ons section from vanilla (that both work and are available in github) really should be versions that are compatible with vanilla 2.1 and all that requires is someone updating the add-ons section + time.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

edited July 2014

By the way, I ran a set of quick tests on AFC + Vanilla 2.1 and everything works as expected, no password issues. I would suggest to try the latest version from BitBucket, the issue might have already been solved in the past.

Update
    It really seems so. The repository contains AFC 13.12.09.001, while version 13.12.29.001, the one immediately after, fixed a bug in the handling of Transient Key for guest users (i.e. the ones that are not logged in).

FYI - not sure who updated this discussion's title, but I'm not running WordPress with my Vanilla 2.1 install.

I mentioned "WordPress" in one of my comments only to point out that I chose to start my troubleshooting efforts the same way I do when troubleshooting my (extremely separate) WordPress installations: by disabling plugins one at a time to see how that affects the issue. :)

@FerrariSteve‌ did you give it a go with the latest version of AFC? That should solve the issue (we are using it on a production site and it works perfectly).

@businessdad I'll try it out just for the sake of providing some feedback, but with Pockets installed, I no longer need that plugin. I just had Pockets throw in my Google Tag Manager tag.

@FerrariSteve‌ that's ok, you don't necessarily have to spend time installing it if you don't have to use it. I just wanted to make sure that the issue was solved, in one way or another.

@businessdad. Did the following:

1) From my plugins dir did:

git clone https://bitbucket.org/businessdad/aelia-foundation-classes.git

which created

aelia-foundation-classes/AeliaFoundationClasses

in my plugins dir. I did:

cd aelia-foundation-classes
    mv AeliaFoundationClasses ..

to put it in my plugins/ dir, and then removed the empty aelia-foundation-classes dir.

I refreshed my Manage Plugins dashboard page and saw the plugin in my list, with this version info:

Version 14.07.22.001|Requires: Vanilla Version 2.0.10, Logger Version 13.02.01|By D.Zanella

I click the Enable button, and get the following:

The addon could not be enabled because it generated a fatal error:

See attached image.

https://us.v-cdn.net/5018160/uploads/editor/87/gfgloqr54hn9.jpg

Happy to tweak and test. Just lemme know what to try.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

did you enable the logger plugin? , which is a requirement for AFC

if not you will get a fatal error, but if you did, your error may be a different reason.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.