HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Using IndexDen as a backend for SphinxSearch

R_JR_J Ex-FanboyMunich Admin

Recently I stumbled upon IndexDen which is a commercial sphinx hoster and has a free plan for 15k documents. My first idea was to tweak your plugin in order to use IndexDen, so that smaller boards being on hosted services with no possibility to set a sphinx server of their own, could benefit from your work, too.

Looking at your plugin has impressed me: your work is far more complex than I expected! (I haven't used it by now)

So before I even started to dive into your code, I thought I'll simply ask you, @mcu_hq: do you think tweaking your plugin to use something like IndexDen as the search backend would be just a tweaking or would it be a major rewrite of what you've done?

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

This is a pretty cool service!

As far I can tell from the documentation FAQ, this service isn't well suited to a forum and wouldn't really overlap with the SphinxSearch plugin.

That said, I am pretty new to Sphinx and I hope I am wrong. :)

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I haven't really looked at Sphinx Search by now and so I really know nothing about it (accept for its purpose). But that snippets from the example page made me hope its API may be similar to how you interact with Sphinx which would make it easy to "simply" change the backend of the SphinxSearch plugin:

$index->add_document($doc_id, array('text'=>$text,
        'title'=>$title,
        'author'=>$author));

$res = $index->search($query." author:$author");

Thanks for your feedback!

My plugin? lol! I've started a search plugin several month ago, made it to create a search index for all discussions and comments and I think that the indexing is quite okay for what you can expect from a simple mysql solution but when it was time to implement some user interface, I dropped it. I suck at that. But I've put it on an ever growing list of plugins that I'd like to finish some day...

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@R_J said:
    ...put it on an ever growing list of plugins that I'd like to finish some day...

You have truly become a developer. XD

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

So true! When I started here I was always eager to hear plugin ideas and now I would love some newbie would ask for some inspiration... :D