Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

No activation emails sent....(went to spam box)

SchryversSchryvers
edited July 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Helllppp my biggest fear ever... i want to launch my forum soon but now i cant.. well i can register but not confirm my email because theres no email coming...

try it about 10 times on different email and different accounts, theres nothing showing up... Server is ok.

http://www.tattooscratchers.nl

what can i do?

Vanilla 2.1 bootstrap theme on.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Are you using an SMTP server?

What settings do you have in the dashboard?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

well, im used vanilla before on this server and then it worked...

now it doesnt...

what settings in dashboard u mean?

members need to activate their email to become a full member....

@hgtonight

• Options

In your dashboard, there should be a link to Outgoing Email (e.g. http://forum.example.com/dashboard/settings/email).

What settings do you have on that screen?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options
    SchryversSchryvers
    edited July 2014

@hgtonight sorry bro, but i found it.... it sends emails.. but the emails go straight into the Spam- maps of the e-mail accounts, so on my mobile device and the gmail app, i never get that email...

but thats a problem for me and the site... how it come they go into the spam map? because my older vanilla forums doesnt have that.... thats a real issue here.

• Options

If you are using a public email service that is free, chances are the mail will get flagged as spam.

Check with your host if they offer an SMTP server for mail services. They are generally included or cheap with your paid hosting account.

Search first

• Options

well i can setup a smtp account, but thats just a mailbox within my cpanel?

then whats the smtp username i need to put that in the dashboard, but whats the username? the name of my email?

so i make smtp account in cpanel

lol@domain.com then the smtp username is lol? how i need to see that?

• Options

This is an issue you need to work out with your host. Your host should be able to direct you as to what needs to be filled out for the mail to work properly.

Search first

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

I have an SMTP email with my host.

All I have to do is put a valid email in the Dashboard setting, and the host does the rest.

• Options

@whu606 ..

Yes thats the standard setting right? But then it comes into the spammap. So now i want to dit it with smtp, i dont know what to fill in by smtp user.. is that the name of my email or what???

Or do i need to leave it blank all, including the host?

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

All I do is put in one of my working email addresses, e.g. emailaccount@mysite.com

Leave the SMTP server box unticked.

Then the email is sent via my hosting account.

If your hosting account emails are being marked as 'spam' then you would need to find another solution.