Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla Porter & vBulletin 5

Will the Vanilla Porter ever support porting from vB5? I desperately want to leave that junk behind!

Comments

• TamaTama United Kingdom ✭✭✭

You can message @Todd ( he posted about a smf 2 database dump in another thread ) with your database dump, and you can help vanilla build the porter.

In the meantime you can export to one of the supported formats from vb5, using that as a midway format.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

@rob275, what @Tama said. We need a decent sized mysqldump to build the initial porter off of. You can run a query to blank email addresses and password hashes. Leaving a single password hash for a test account would also be a big help. Message me if you are interested.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@rob275 Have you given it a shot? I suspect it already works and we just never changed it to list vBulletin 5 support. I vaguely remember looking at the upgrader and not finding anything that would cause the vBulletin 3 & 4 porter to not work.

• @Todd definately interested will see what I can do sorry for the late reply been so busy!

@Lincoln yes i've tried it and it failed.

• @Todd I run the forum http://www.macforum.dk upgraded to vB5 some time ago, i am very disappointed and would really like to help. I can provide you with a dump from our forum if you want?

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    edited December 2013 via Email
    That would be great @blacksails. Email me todd@vanillaforums.com and we can work something out.
  • Hi,

Already moved from vb4 to vb5 early 2014, and very very disapointed since. Months of support tickets, lot of bugs and definitly not a better forum than before...

After reading a lot about it, I tried to build a test server with vanilla before moving to it definitively, but vanilla porter seems to have difficulties exporting version 5 of vb. (error : "The user table is missing the following column(s): password")

Is there some news about it since last post ?

Thanks a lot.
    Cyrax

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

Version 2.0 of the Porter should handle it fine. Is that the version you're using?

• CyraxAdSCyraxAdS New
    edited July 2014

Yes, i tried with porter version 2.0 and i have error message "The user table is missing the following column(s): password".

I checked into vbulletin mysql structure, there's no "password" field in "user" table.
    I'm running last version of VB : 5.1.1.
    Tell me if your need more information.

Thanks.

Cyrax

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

Do you know where the password is stored now?

You can bypass this by deleting the password field from the SourceTables array at the start of the vBulletin porter. However, that just means you won't be porting passwords at all. I wasn't aware 5.0 moved passwords to a different place.

• I'll have a look into database structure and get back to you asap.
    Thanks for your help :)

• I sent you a mail. Thanks.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

5.1.0 refactors how vBulletin handles passwords, so the porter is no longer compatible if someone is using that version or later. Working on a patch with @CyraxAdS‌'s help.

• Any news on a new version ?

Thanks.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

Not yet, but I am hoping to get it done by fall.

• Any progress on that matter ?

Thanks.

• TrelisTrelis New
    edited September 2014

I am also waiting for an update on this. I really want to leave vBulletin5. That expensive junk ruined our forums. Hoping that we could move to vanilla soon. :(