Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Anyway to create text Columns ?

Hi !

Using Vanilla 2.1..

Wondering if there is a way / plugin to put text in columns when I am posting a message. For example, if I am posting a poem I can put it into two columns instead of wasting all that space...

All help appreciated ...

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@noo

I don't know a plugin, but you could use html to put your post in a two column table.

• Options

I know no html :-1: .. can you give an example of some code I can cut and paste ?

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2014
    its not that hard
    if you try a tutorial
    if you don't know, learn

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    NooNoo New
    edited August 2014

Jeez that does look nice and the link leads to a lot of gobbleygook presently :-) Thanks for the pointer anyways...will try to learn ....

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin
    test 1
    1 a
    b 2
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    1 bla bla bla
    blubb 2
  • Options

You can use the pipe symbol to build tables (quote my comments above to see how it is done

• Options

@R_J said:
    You can use the pipe symbol to build tables (quote my comments above to see how it is done

:)

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2014
    rj peregrine
    R_J said: You can use the pipe symbol to build tables................ peregine says: oh :)
    rj thinks peregrine jokes

@R_J said:

test 1
    1 a
    b 2

actually that is pretty easy.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited August 2014

I have a better way which will work for anyone wanting to make columns. Add the css code to your theme's custom.css file. Then when you post add the class Left to the span or div for the left column and the class Right for the right column and it will make it automatic.

span.Left.column{
        position:relative;
        float:left;
        width:40%;
        margin-left:20px;
        margin-top:0;
        }
       span.Right.column{
        position:relative;
        float:right;
        width:40%;
        margin-right:20px;
        margin-top:0;
        }

<span class="Left column" >Living 15x20 /Front /Entry Foyer /Built-In Bookcases 2nd Bdrm 13x13 Dining 13x11 /Dining Area GreatRmNKitchen Tile Flooring /Breakfast Bar/Counter 3rd Bdrm 10x10 Family/None MBR 13x13 /Master Bedroom Downstairs /Ceiling Fan 4th BdrmMB Bath Shower Only DryerUtil Gas Location ROOM Washer IncYDryer IncY5th BdrmRefrig Y Disposal Y Dishwasher Y Bed DownYBath Down Y, FOth Appliances Microwave OvenCooktop (G)Interior Ceiling Fan(s) /Drywall</span>

<span class="Right column" >Living 15x20 /Front /Entry Foyer /Built-In Bookcases 2nd Bdrm 13x13 Dining 13x11 /Dining Area GreatRmNKitchen Tile Flooring /Breakfast Bar/Counter 3rd Bdrm 10x10 Family/None MBR 13x13 /Master Bedroom Downstairs /Ceiling Fan 4th BdrmMB Bath Shower Only DryerUtil Gas Location ROOM Washer IncYDryer IncY5th BdrmRefrig Y Disposal Y Dishwasher Y Bed DownYBath Down Y, FOth Appliances Microwave OvenCooktop (G)Interior Ceiling Fan(s) /Drywall</span>

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2014

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited August 2014

It is not working here for some reason... this what it should look like, I just used a chunk of arbitrary text

http://www.practiceboard.com/?989328

The best thing would be to add a button so it puts the code automatically via short code or something.

• Options

Thanks everyone... Short code would be ideal....not everyone wants to be a coder just so they can make tables a few times in a year :-)

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Shortcode?

Nothing could be shorter than using the markup.

Don't know the markup? Use a Wysiwyg editor.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

This is not the latest and greatest html (I learned it 20 years ago) but will suffice for a simple table with two equally spaced columns.

<table>
    <tr>
    <td>Place first column content here.</td>
    <td>Place second column content here.</td>
    </tr>
    </table>

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2014

you might like

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/pullquote-plugin

and you could probably clone it to add spans or divs easily.

adding table via a click would be a bit harder.