HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Announcing the OZONE premium theme

2»

Comments

• is not responsive :|

• jspautschjspautsch Themester ✭✭✭

@fr3em1nd said:
    is not responsive :|

Hence why that's the next step. ;) Want to make sure it's done right.

Ozone is now responsive. :) Some parts are still WIP, Vanilla doesn't always play nice with attempts to make it responsive.

• freelancingcarefreelancingcare Dhaka, Bangladesh

nice theme

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@jspautsch said:
    Vanilla doesn't always play nice with attempts to make it responsive.

Are there particular areas where you ran into trouble?

@Linc said:
    Are there particular areas where you ran into trouble?

Form fields probably gave the most trouble, especially the entry pages, IIRC. Anything with a fixed size. After doing Ozone I got better at making Vanilla responsive with Nexus and Silicon, namely by just making the Panel act like a popout sidebar (not sure why I didn't think of that when making Ozone). In general, while I've grown to learn more about Vanilla's class structure, it can be frustrating as it's not always applied consistently, or the HTML isn't constructed the same way for very similar constructs. Wish I could give more specific examples, but it's been a while since I was in the weeds with Vanilla making these themes, and lately my focus has been on my pending newborn. ;)

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited September 2014

@jspautsch Congrats! When you do jump back in, be sure to note specific places you think we can make a change that makes theming easier (preferably without messing up existing themes). Well-considered, technical issues like that are a great way you can help out the product. Even if we don't get to implement it, it's a great conversation to have and see happening.

• @Linc one thing that comes to my mind are the font sizes, which are in pixels.
    To change the font size everywhere, you need to target a lot of different elements, see:
    https://github.com/bleistivt/vanilla-pure/blob/master/design/custom.css#L7-L43
    ^ And that doesn't even cover everything

It would be much easier if only the body (or even better #Body) element would have a fixed size and every other element would inherit from the body and set the size in em or %.

Also, for the next default style, it'd be cool to get rid of the css reset and use normalize.css instead.

There a few more !important then there should be.

And the classes in the flyout menus are inconsistent. When trying to give them icons:

In the discussions view everything is fine...

but in the discussion itself, bad luck, no css classes:

I'll submit a pull for the latter when i find the time.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@Bleistivt Those are all good ideas. Currently, our stumbling block for breaking changes is we need a parent/child theme relationship so that we can allow all existing themes to keep on using our current default so they don't break as soon as we change the base layer. Theming is a big concern for us so hopefully we'll be making big strides here soon.