Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla Porter and SMF 1.1.x

I'm finally moving my forum from SMF to Vanilla. I have vanilla2export.php loaded up, but the screen is blank when I access http://www.bullpenbulletinspodcast.com/forum/vanilla2export.php. Bluehost just created a new PHP.INI file for me, but the error log shows me:

[18-Sep-2014 13:12:57] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_FUNCTION in /home2/bonedapw/public_html/bullpenbulletinspodcast/forum/vanilla2export.php on line 4447

Erring on the side of caution, I'm including a screenshot.

I'm not looking to bring a lot of baggage over from the old place. Users and a few topics/discussions, but the less I have to do manually, the better.

Thank in advance for any assistance.

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Welcome to the community!

What version of PHP are you running on your forum host? I believe anonymous functions became available in 5.3.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Thank you! Lovin' what I'm seein' so far.

Through PHP Config in the Bluehost cPanel, I changed it from 5.2 to 5.4.

@davidaprice said:
    Thank you! Lovin' what I'm seein' so far.

Through PHP Config in the Bluehost cPanel, I changed it from 5.2 to 5.4.

Did that solve your issue?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @hgtonight said:
    Did that solve your issue?

No, unfortunately.

If you are getting the exact same error, I would verify that your configuration change took hold. Create a file called info.php in your webroot with the following contents:

<?php
    phpinfo();

Visiting that page should tell you which version of PHP is parsing your php files.

Search first

• Things are definitely looking up. Working with Bluehost support, 5.4 was finally initiated (.htaccess was a culprit) and the SMF database has been exported (a couple times because I wasn't aware it was actually working because of the red banner atop the screen telling me it couldn't access the database).

So far, so good. I'll keep you posted. Thanks tons for your help, @hgtonight‌.

• It looks like I screwed things up by giving users custom ranks on the SMF board. So my co-hosts and I agreed that we're going to start anew. Nice, clean, fresh.

There are also a ton of posts that do not need to be brought over so doing it this way is better than taking the time to delete unnecessary threads.

Thanks again for your help, @hgtonight‌.

• unixherounixhero
    edited October 2014

Welcome to Vanilla :) I too used SMF, but it had its heyday back in 2006. I am really happy with Vanillaforums and I am sure you will be too.

I managed to get my SMF forum perfectly transferred using the porter plugin. If you'd like to read about it, see my post here: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/21077/migrating-from-smf2-to-vanilla-converting-the-precious-posts#latest |- and here-->> http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/21530/thanks-vanillaforums#latest

I recommend doing this from your computer instead of doing it on your webhost. Install a local copy of XAMPP and download your forum's files and databases to it.