HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

new registrations are bypassing approval

Hi, I've got a fresh install here (2.1.3) and I've set registration to "approval" and the "applicant" role has every permission unticked. I only want guests to be able to register, not to see anything on the forums until they have been approved.

If I register (using a separate browser to the one I use for admin) then I get signed into the forum right away and can read and post.

So guest, unconfirmed and applicant roles have all boxes untucked, registration is set to "approval" and I am a moderator, but still anyone can sign up and get right in?!?

Can anyone suggest a fix?
Thanks.

Chris.

Comments

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

Hi Chris, what's checked under /role/defaultroles ?

• HI, sorry, I can't see where on the control panel you mean here?

• Additionally, new member are being assigned the role "member" immediately despite there being an "unconfirmed" role. Basically I unticked everything from guest, unconfirmed and applicant. So until someone is approved and has validated their email, they can see nothing. But new registrants get assigned the membership role the second they submit the registration form.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@chrispyfur said:
    HI, sorry, I can't see where on the control panel you mean here?

That was a URL to go to directly.

• see this thread as well.

vanillaforums.org/discussion/28258/issue-with-permissions-and-roles

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.