HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Embedded Forum Resulting In "404 Page Not Found"

edited October 2014 in Feedback

Hello... Ever since I first embedded my forum to my website, the embed loads up with a "Page Not Found" error by default... I can click on links and go to them from the embed and everything is fine on the forum itself but it is really frustrating to have the default page show up with an error with the embed. Note however that if I use a regular < embed > or < iframe > tag it shows up fine but there's height issues there I'd prefer to avoid... That's why I'm using the original Vanilla embed code... I've scoured the forums here and the internet for help but I can't come across a solution... you can see it in action at http://audioelements.co/forum. Please help!

Tagged:

Comments

• what have you go as you default controller?

grep is your friend.

• hey... where can I find the default controller??

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Welcome to the community!

What is the embed code you are using?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• So what you are saying is you are using the embed code not intended for this version, and now receiving side effects? Not that surprising. Why not solve the original problem?

grep is your friend.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Check the .htaccess file make sure it is correct

• @hgtonight‌... this is the code that I'm using

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://vforum.audioelements.co/js/embed.js"></script>

@x00‌... I don't think that I'm using an outdated version or code... this is the what the error looks like on the website that I am embedding to...

@vrijvlinder‌... I saw several discussions/posts about the .htaccess file but I can't seem to find anything wrong with it... this is the code I have on the file

# Original
    # If you modify this file then change the above line to: # Modified
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
       RewriteEngine On
       RewriteBase /
       # Certain hosts may require the following line.
       # If vanilla is in a subfolder then you need to specify it after the /. 
       # (ex. You put Vanilla in /forum so change the next line to: RewriteBase /forum)
       # RewriteBase /
       RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
       RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
       RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php\?p=$1 [QSA,L]
    </IfModule>

you guys see any issue??

edited October 2014

Yes there is something wrong

# RewriteBase /

it should be

RewriteBase /forum

Good idea to scan the tutorials category, look here to see what it should look like. And make sure you have RewriteUrl True in the config.php

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/25111/about-error-404-not-found

# Modified
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
       RewriteEngine On
       # (ex. You put Vanilla in /forum so change the next line to: RewriteBase /forum)
       RewriteBase /forum
    </IfModule>

• ok ok... well I've already checked the config.php file and it is set to TRUE... gonna look into the .htaccess file.

• checked out the .htaccess file and made the changes but this now nothing loads in the embed... this is the new code...

# Original
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
       RewriteEngine On
       # RewriteBase /
       RewriteBase /vforum
    </IfModule>

Ok , please look at the details.. if you modify the htaccess it must say #Modified not Original

the base is the root of your forum

Where is the stand alone ? What url ?

Then you must disable the embed plugin or embedding and re enable again.

You can also embed like this to test design and operability.. You should add it inside a div

<iframe src="url to your forum" style="size etc"></iframe>

• @vrijvlinder said:
    You can also embed like this to test design and operability.. You should add it inside a div

<iframe src="url to your forum" style="size etc"></iframe>

yeah I recently tried doing that but then scroll bars appear on the embed... but scouring the internet for a solution for that too... can't find any that I really can work with... the Vanilla code did that same thing too... up until recently

the reason I switched back to the Vanilla code is because i noticed that the scrollbar issue was sorted out... but now I'm back with this "Page Not Found" issue... :\

The reason for a scroll bar showing is because the space you put the embed in is smaller than the embed.

All of this can be solved via css . It is about the theme of both the forum and the place you embed in.

When I embed a forum I do not have any issues. I have embedded several.

You need to sort out the 404. That should not happen. Also there are two vanilla embed plugins. Not sure which one you are using.

• we'll I'm not using the < embed > plugin from Vanilla... I'm using the Wordpress plugin for embedding... however whether I use the WP plugin or if I paste the universal code to the page... The same error message comes up... also... I've changed the "Original" to "Modified" on .htaccess but with no change... this is also my 3rd installation of this forum due to past issues.. but this one issue was present with every installation...

Have you tried my suggestion ? to add the iframe of your forum ? if that works then we know it is not a problem with vanilla but with WP

• yea I've tried that solution but the problem with the scrollbars is a biggie for me... can you give me an idea of how my css can fix this or send me to a reliable source.

• Some people recommend not to waste your time embedding (me and some others), and just mimic your vanilla theme to look similar as if it were embedded and add a top menu to your vanilla theme.

some plugins that have js positioning, abosolutes, etc won't work embedded.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

edited October 2014

@AudioElements said:
    yea I've tried that solution but the problem with the scrollbars is a biggie for me... can you give me an idea of how my css can fix this or send me to a reliable source.

Ok, please then add the forum as I suggested , give me a link and I will come up with a solution.

Peregrine is right. Embedding is unnecessary. You can make the forum look identical .

You need to clear up something though, please post the link to the stand alone forum as well as the embedded forum. when I click the Home link the forum loads. So the htaccess is wrong.Plus you have something forcing the forum to the embedded version and you can't access the standalone forum. If the root of the forum is / , then it should not be /forum
    in the vanilla haccess file.

By the way, the BetterBitter theme is very similar to your wordpress menu , maybe that theme could work to make it like the wordpress site.

• Hey guys... thanks for the advice... right now I'm in the dev stage with the website so a lot of things are not solid yet like the colours and overall look. Considered going directly to the forum before but I kinda like what I have now with the embed... however I still would like to know that I have the option of embedding and that it will work well...

@vrijvlinder‌
    Here is the the source page -> http://vforum.audioelements.co
    I created the iframe version... placed in a div... zero styling -> http://www.audioelements.co/iforum/

• x00x00 MVP
    edited October 2014

@vrijvlinder his forum is a subdomain not a folder.

@AudioElements I misinterpreted the the original post sorry.

Guys lets start again without the shotgun debugging an work methodically. I would go back to embed for the moment, standard iframe is not a solution.

grep is your friend.