Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Unable to change profile pictures/avatar

edited November 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Whenever I try to upload a new profile picture (by clicking Add a Profile Picture), I get "Whoops! There was an error."

Version: Version 2.1.3
Theme: Bootstrap

Troubleshooting:
I've tried changing the theme, and it's the same issue still.
I've also tried disabling all my plugins, and it's the same issue still.
I've tried searching the community, but I wasn't able to find any help

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

make sure your uploads folder has write permissions, and try enabling debug. and upgrade to version 2.1.5 of vanilla.

also make sure /uploads/thumbnails is writeable and /uploads/userpics is writeable

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• My upload folder has chmod 777, and I'm able to upload the Category Photos (thanks for helping with that, btw), so it shouldn't be permissions. There weren't any thumbnails or userpics folders in /uploads, but after creating them, the problem still stands.

Debugger doesn't give me any information on the issue (which is shown in a pop-up), only the profile page.

I suppose I'll have to try to upgrade and see if that helps.

• edited November 2014

I've been looking through the permissions, and from what I can tell from other threads you're supposed to be be able to control whether or not a user can change their profile picture. I can't seem to find that setting.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@omfgblondie said:
    Debugger doesn't give me any information on the issue (which is shown in a pop-up), only the profile page.

Try copying the link of that button and paste it directly to the address bar. It should open up in a separate screen then (maybe it would help to post that link here, too)

• edited November 2014

@R_J said:
    Try copying the link of that button and paste it directly to the address bar. It should open up in a separate screen then (maybe it would help to post that link here, too)

"Something has gone wrong.

We've run into a problem and are unable to handle this request right now.
    Please check back in a little while."

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin
    edited November 2014

Do you still only see that Whoops if you add $Configuration['Debug'] = TRUE; to your /conf/config.php?

• @R_J said:
    Do you still only see that Whoops if you add $Configuration['Debug'] = TRUE; to your /conf/config.php?

"Unable to detect PHP GD installed on this system. Vanilla requires GD version 2 or better."

LOCATION: /var/www/vanillaforums/vanilla/applications/dashboard/controllers/class.profilecontroller.php

631: if ($GdVersion < 2)
    632: throw new Exception(sprintf(T("This installation of GD is too old (v%s). Vanilla requires at least version 2 or compatible."),$GdVersion));
    633: }
    634: else {

635: throw new Exception(sprintf(T("Unable to detect PHP GD installed on this system. Vanilla requires GD version 2 or better.")));

636: }
    637:
    638: // Get user data & prep form.
    639: $this->GetUserInfo($UserReference, $Username, $UserID, TRUE);

BACKTRACE:
    [/var/www/vanillaforums/vanilla/applications/dashboard/controllers/class.profilecontroller.php] ProfileController->Picture();
    [/var/www/vanillaforums/vanilla/library/core/class.dispatcher.php 350] PHP::call_user_func_array();
    [/var/www/vanillaforums/vanilla/index.php 46] Gdn_Dispatcher->Dispatch();

So I guess PHP GD is my issue, thanks :D