Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Can I export out of Vanilla?

I plan on using Vanilla for the time being but may plan on switching to a different forum platform. will I be able to export out of Vanilla? All posts I've come across talk about importing into Vanilla, but I'm curious about the other way around.

Comments

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

info is stored in a database, and you can export tables with phpmyadmin or other sql tools.

you have to determine if the other forums you may want to move to have an import process. key to answer Vanilla doesn't have a specific process to convert to other forums. The other forum software that you are looking at - may have conversion tools to import. Just as Vanilla has conversion tools to import from other forums.

a sql database is a sql database if ( capital IF) the other platforms can perform the machinations to convert the tables which you exported, you should have no problem.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

I'm not advocating you switch from vanilla once you start using it, and you will probably like vanilla to stick with it, but just googling around I found three examples of an import to other forums and/or wordpress. So, I wouldn't worry about using vanilla, and you will probably stick with it. But you will be the judge.

https://meta.discourse.org/t/paid-need-a-vanilla-2-import-tool/14852/52

http://www.presslabs.com/blog/export-your-vanilla-comments-to-wordpress/

https://codex.bbpress.org/import-forums/

Generally the onus of importing is on the platform you want to import to, not the platform you want to export from. Since the goal of various platforms, is to make it easy for user to convert and use their software, it is up to the specific platform to provide an import tool to pull data from other platforms.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

@adrian - you may want to contact these guys and educate them - it is way out of date

http://www.forum-software.org/forum-comparator/phpbb3-vs-simple-machines-2-vs-vanilla

outdated as well:

http://www.forum-software.org/vanilla/review

• Options
    AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP

@peregrine‌ i have contacted them in the past, repeatedly, with no luck. Please be my guest to try ;)

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

@Adrian said:
    peregrine‌ i have contacted them in the past, repeatedly, with no luck. Please be my guest to try ;)

thanks. didn't realize you tried.

if you can't get them to do it, then I certainly have no clout.

maybe a bunch of people from this forum can make comments in the review and state that they are way out of date for a review board and fairly useless, if they can't update something years old.
    and many of the features that say no should be yes, etc

lol they say 120 plugins

Plugins Details
    Add new features to your forum installation.
    Yes.
    ~120 Available Plugins.
    Installation: [++[ Very Easy

there are well over 500 plugins including staff plugins. granted some only work with vanilla 2.0, but I'm sure there are over 120 plugins that work with vanilla 2.1 and probably closer to 300 or 400 plugins work with vanilla 2.1

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

For me it is a fun to browse such sites, but take a closer look at the site:

• the last entry on their homepage is from the 7th of January 2013
    • the newest screenshots are from 2012
    • their forum is so spam filled, that you can not find out when the last non-spambot-post has been
    • the forum admin has a "vote for best forum software of 2012" signature

Makes me think of Johnsonville...

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

Also, note that our export tool also exports Vanilla itself and turns it into a nicely formatted text file you can use elsewhere.

Actually that's how Discourse exporter tool worked, last I looked. "First, use the tool Vanilla built." :unamused:

• Options

Thanks guys. That makes it more clear for me.
    Yes I like Vanilla and if I could stick with it I would instead of switching over.

To give you the big picture... for now I'm simply embedding Vanilla on a simple site tool like Weebly. In the future I want to update my site to Joomla and that's where things might get messy. I would hate to have my members have to login to my Joomla site and have a separate login for Vanilla. If that's the case there are Joomla forum extensions that I could use and hence would need to import my Vanilla posts there.

I am looking into jsConnect and if I can have Joomla + Vanilla and if jsConnect can make it so people don't have to double login then I'll keep Vanilla and everything will be good.

Think Joomla + Vanilla + jsConnect can work together to tackle the login issue?

• Options

Doing SSO with joolma should be possible.

grep is your friend.