Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Gear Icons not Working

I am having an issue with the gear icons (to edit a discussion) not being clickable on my self hosted vanilla application. Does anyone have any insight on this issue? Please Help!!

Also when i try to bookmark with the star, its says you need to have js enabled to do that, but js is enabled in my browser

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Welcome to the community!

Do you have any errors in your web console?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

@DiscoDave said:
    I am having an issue with the gear icons (to edit a discussion) not being clickable on my self hosted vanilla application. Does anyone have any insight on this issue? Please Help!!

Also when i try to bookmark with the star, its says you need to have js enabled to do that, but js is enabled in my browser

usualy happens when js is broken. if you added js or modified js - you may have created an error in js,

also happens if you try to click to soon before js is fully loaded.

broken js prevents all the actions you describe - as hgtonight indicated.

I also noticed in my setup if I have firebug console enabled prior to loading wepage, it will occasionally break js. (which is a new one for me, no errors).

what version of vanilla - are you using?

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• DiscoDaveDiscoDave New
    edited November 2014

i am using version 2.1.5 with godaddy hosting. I am not getting any errors inside of the web console. I tried to disable firebug, but i am expierenceing the issue across safari and chrome as well.

In addition i am not having any error messages inside php my admin.

• I am getting a call to this file upon bookmark star click if this helps narrow the problem with bookmarking...
    "vanilla/discussion/bookmark/2/VMLQ3BGWB4KV?Target=discussion%2F2%2Finstallation"

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

new installation, or upgrade? did it just start happening?

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/199091/#Comment_199091

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• I figured out that it is only happening with the "Embed-Friendly" Theme that came with my vanilla package. Is there a fix for this?

• I have fixed the issue by reinstalling the file /theme/embed-friendly and overwriting the current theme files.

Thank you all for your help.

• I know that the other issue could be setting the time for editing the discussion, but my issue is different. The star is clickable but takes you to an error that says "whoops you need to enable js to do that" (across all browsers). And the options gear doesn't even display a drop down, and is unclickable.