Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Possible to add likes to notifications?

I'm using Vanilla version 2.1.1.

I'm a bit new to vanilla, so forgive me if this is a silly question -- is there a way for users to be notified via notifications when another user likes their post or comment?

I've attached a screenshot of a notification about another user posting on my wall, as an example of exactly what I'd like to happen if a user likes another users post or comment (e.g. "Taggy likes a comment you made.")

I know that users can choose their notification preferences, I'd like this to be an option they can select for email or popup.

Comments

• No, unfortunately this would require custom code and I don't know of a Like plugin that supports that.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

I think adding these kind of capabilities would defeat the purpose of getting people to participate. If you get notified of everything, then what is the point of visiting and participating on site.

If you use Yaga application instead of like this to tally who and when and get notified, it might work better. Yaga is an an application and you can make plugins for it so it is extendable. Already has a notification system if I am not mistaken... But it is only about reactions which amount to like or not whatever you create or want to call them.

I can see the value of knowing someone liked/reacted to your post. Which is why the post gets marked with the reactions . But getting an email or notification every time might be overkill. I would rather know if there was a comment made or a new post made.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@demifugue said:
    I'm using Vanilla version 2.1.1.

I'm a bit new to vanilla, so forgive me if this is a silly question -- is there a way for users to be notified via notifications when another user likes their post or comment?

That question will never make it into the top ten of silly questions ;)

As Bleistivt told you, that is no feature of the plugin but it would make a great addition! If you are able to get your way around some code, I'd recommend you that discussion to get an understanding of how you can use the notification feature: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/198802#Comment_198802

The insert into ActivityTable has to be done in the Setup function and from a quick glance, I'd say the $ActivityModel->SendNotification has to be in the function DiscussionController_Like_Create.

A better way would be to do as @hbf tells in his plugin description "Like this plugin? Show your support with a couple bucks.". Make a donation and ask him to implement that feature. He would know best where to put what code.

@vrijvlinder said:
    But getting an email or notification every time might be overkill. I would rather know if there was a comment made or a new post made.

I agree in the mail part; depending on the amount of likes you get, it could turn out to be spam alike, but I like to have configurable notifications for nearly anything that could be interesting.

I had to turn off my facebook notifications... they were none stop and just a nuisance . Do I really need to know they liked ? I would like to know they read !!!

Don't tell me you have never looked at that link before: vanillaforums.org/profile/reactions/40152/vrijvlinder?reaction=lol

We all love getting positive feedback ;)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2014

@vrijvlinder said:
    I had to turn off my facebook notifications... they were none stop and just a nuisance . Do I really need to know they liked ? I would like to know they read !!!

Along rJ's line of thing and yours blended in. No notifications from anyone else, but I can notify myself.
    It can be like a wake up call, or a cup of coffee, or an icy plunge into the pool of reality.

I'd like to see a self-notification on the documentation page. e.g. If I read it I can click "I read it", and then it can e-mail a response. "But did you understand it, if not read it one more time, and then read it again in 6 months.". Then if I decide to ask a question, I can look at my e-mail to see if I read the appropriate documentation.

this was tongue-in-cheek. btw

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

@R_J said:
    Don't tell me you have never looked at that link before: vanillaforums.org/profile/reactions/40152/vrijvlinder?reaction=lol

We all love getting positive feedback ;)

No, waiting to get a reaction from someone is like watching paint dry. Some people just never react to anything so it is best to not expect anything back and just enjoy to contribute out of sheer boredom.... :p

Besides there are no more badges to earn as far as that goes, just ask peregrine .... lol
    I am hoping there is a 10000 comment badge he is almost there I think..

@peregrine said:Then if I decide to ask a question, I can look at my e-mail to see if I read the appropriate documentation.

Yes that is brilliant. sort of like a personal assistant for your mind.

If the docs were interactive that would be also nice. where instructional videos pop up when you hover over some word like config.php as a magical tooltip. Then send a notification that you read it. And have a checkbox below if you understood it , yes or no

If no then a notification to the author that their info is not understandable...

• AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Headband Afficionado Cole Harbour, NS ✭✭✭

FWIW, I know for a fact that my users would love to see notifications and a "who liked my stuff" functionality. Just trying to decide which I'd rather do - install YAGA and customize it down to what I want, or try to add "who likes me" to this plugin. I think YAGA might be too good to pass up.

• @webstey said:
    FWIW, I know for a fact that my users would love to see notifications and a "who liked my stuff" functionality. Just trying to decide which I'd rather do - install YAGA and customize it down to what I want, or try to add "who likes me" to this plugin. I think YAGA might be too good to pass up.

I think they will begin to hate all the notifications.

when they can easily just look at http://vanillaforums.org/profile/57190/webstey

and just click on the numbers. easy enough. plus you are not adding all that notification baggage and possible e-mails.

it is also an incentive to login, so you can check.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

@peregrine‌ agreed; having the ability to see it on demand instead of being pestered by notifications will be especially good for the higher-volume posters (e.g. currently me, answering questions). Thanks for the comment.

Hey, I got an awesome from @hgtonight‌ on my birthday! How about that.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

I just want to point out that Yaga provides a similar profile widget showing content you received actions for.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

@hgtonight‌ I thought the profile widget he linked to was a YAGA thing ... isn't it?

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@webstey said:
    hgtonight‌ I thought the profile widget he linked to was a YAGA thing ... isn't it?

Oh, that would be amazing.

No, that is actually a plugin called Reactions that is only available on the hosted version of Vanilla. Yaga provides similar but different functionality.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.