Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

reCaptcha stopping new user registration

jcncncjcncnc New
edited December 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi,

I just installed the latest version of vanilla on a fresh server. But no one can sign up because we're getting this reCaptcha error. On the signup page it says "Security Check
To use reCAPTCHA you must get an API key from https://www.google.com/recaptcha/admin/create"

But when you click on that link you get a page not found error. Plus this error shouldn't be showing to the users anyway - and I have not turned on any recaptcha functions. So I'm assuming this is built in.

If the user does finish filling out the form, he gets this error upon clicking submit:

To use reCAPTCHA you must get an API key from https://www.google.com/recaptcha/admin/create.

So basically right out of the box this is totally unusable because no one can sign up!

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

use a different registration method in dashboard.

there are four different types of registration available from dashboard.

Basic method from dashboard equates to Captcha in config.php

this is for your protection so your forum is not wide open to spammers.

all other registration options from the dashboard are as expected.

your choice is reflected in config.php

e.g. these are the four options from the dashboard.

$Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['Method'] = 'Approval';

$Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['Method'] = 'Captcha';

$Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['Method'] = 'Invitation';

$Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['Method'] = 'Connect';

there is a fifth method that opens up the forum to simple registration by manually changing config.php

$Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['Method'] = 'Basic';

be careful with using "Basic" in config statement as you will open yourself up to lots of apammers unless you have some other method or plugin that mitigates the potential of bad actors.

and see http://vanillaforums.org/addon/addregistrationquestion-plugin and the readme and description.

see the faq relating to spam

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/220830/#Comment_220830

searching can provide answers to questions already asked B) ¡Bitte schön!

re: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/217921/#Comment_217921

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• jcncncjcncnc New
    edited December 2014

Hey, thank you for the link to that registration question plugin - that's exactly what I was looking for!

But none of these registration options are working for me. The Basic one is the one that forces the reCaptcha which doesn't work. The other ones, I don't want to have to approve each and every new member because I don't want them to have to wait until I get around to it. And I don't want to use the Invitation method. And I don't know what the Connect method is.

By the way, after installing the registration question thing, I can't seem to get it to connect to one of these methods.

Thank you!

Sheena

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

@jcncnc said:
    Hey, thank you for the link to that registration question plugin - that's exactly what I was looking for!

But none of these registration options are working for me.

The Basic one is the one that forces the reCaptcha which doesn't work.

exactly that is what I said above.

The other ones, I don't want to have to approve each and every new member because I don't want them to have to wait until I get around to it. And I don't want to use the Invitation method. And I don't know what the Connect method is.

that's why I suggested the 5 th method - manually changing registration method via config.php

please re-read.

also the instructions are detailed as well in the readme of add registration question as well as the description and comment above and the link.

so there are four places trying to explain the concept to you.

By the way, after installing the registration question thing, I can't seem to get it to connect to one of these methods.

Thank you!

Sheena

I suspect English is not your native language.

please re-read or get a translator for your language, then drink a cup of strong coffee and re-read comment above.

It's all in the instructions....

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Ah! I figured it out! And I'm so sorry! You're absolutely right, I didn't read your first message clearly. I have a terrible cold and have been taking nyquil tonight and I'm a little out of it! I went back and read what you said again right after I responded, and realized you did explain what I was asking.

Then I got confused because after changing 'captcha' to 'basic' in the config.php file, I went back to the admin panel and thought I had to select Basic (I guess the nyquil). But then I realized that didn't make any sense, so I saved config.php again and then didn't check Basic in the admin panel and it worked perfectly. So, thank you so much!

Although, I have to say, the directions in the registrationquestion readme file aren't really all that clear.

Thank you so much!

Sheena

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

@jcncnc said:
    Ah! I figured it out! And I'm so sorry! You're absolutely right, I didn't read your first message clearly. I have a terrible cold and have been taking nyquil tonight and I'm a little out of it! I went back and read what you said again right after I responded, and realized you did explain what I was asking.

Then I got confused because after changing 'captcha' to 'basic' in the config.php file, I went back to the admin panel and thought I had to select Basic (I guess the nyquil). But then I realized that didn't make any sense, so I saved config.php again and then didn't check Basic in the admin panel and it worked perfectly. So, thank you so much!

Although, I have to say, the directions in the registrationquestion readme file aren't really all that clear.

the plugin has nothing to do with how to set registration methods. It purely is an addon that asks a question and has been tested on the registration methods specified in the description.

If you want to sponsor a readme that is up to your standards you, let me know. :) see the settings page on how to send a donation.

must be the nyquil :)

Thank you so much!

Sheena

Amen! and glad it is solved.

• jcncncjcncnc New
    edited December 2014

Oh wow! I didn't know I was talking to the person who wrote this script. Well, thank you so much for writing this! I have found that this method is the very best way to keep spammers out. So thank you for making it available for Vanilla.

As far as the readme file, I have written something you could add to it that I think would be helpful for newer users. I would add this to the file:

To set this up, you have to edit the Vanilla configuration file (config.php). Where the default setting is:

change "Captcha" to "Basic". It should look like this when you finish:

(If it says something other than "Captcha", when you first go in, that's okay, just change whatever it says to "Basic" "Captcha" is
    Vanilla's default - and it corresponds to their "Basic" setting in the admin control panel under Users/Registration).

This "Basic" config.php setting is not the same as the "Basic" setting that you'll see in the Vanilla
    admin panel under Users/Registration. When you save the config.php file, then go back
    to the Vanilla admin panel to Users/Registration and verify that NONE of the methods are selected.
    This is as it should be because you have just changed the setting in the config.php file itself - to
    a "Basic" method that is not the same as the default "Basic" setting that comes with Vanilla.

Now, try to register a new user account. You should see that the registration form contains
    the AddRegistration question that you've created but does not contain the captcha. If you want
    to use both captcha and the AddRegistration question, then go back to Users/Registration in the
    Vanilla admin panel and this time select "Basic" and save. By doing this, it will show both elements.

Sheena

• By the way, we just made a small donation to you - thank you so much for this great script and your help!

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Hmmm... looks like the creation URL moved when Google put out the new version of reCaptcha.

You can get an API key from https://www.google.com/recaptcha/admin

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• thanks hgtonight! very helpful.

• @jcncnc said:
    Oh wow! I didn't know I was talking to the person who wrote this script. Well, thank you so much for writing this! I have found that this method is the very best way to keep spammers out. So thank you for making it available for Vanilla.

As far as the readme file, I have written something you could add to it that I think would be helpful for newer users. I would add this to the file:

To set this up, you have to edit the Vanilla configuration file (config.php). Where the default setting is:

change "Captcha" to "Basic". It should look like this when you finish:

(If it says something other than "Captcha", when you first go in, that's okay, just change whatever it says to "Basic" "Captcha" is
    Vanilla's default - and it corresponds to their "Basic" setting in the admin control panel under Users/Registration).

This "Basic" config.php setting is not the same as the "Basic" setting that you'll see in the Vanilla
    admin panel under Users/Registration. When you save the config.php file, then go back
    to the Vanilla admin panel to Users/Registration and verify that NONE of the methods are selected.
    This is as it should be because you have just changed the setting in the config.php file itself - to
    a "Basic" method that is not the same as the default "Basic" setting that comes with Vanilla.

Now, try to register a new user account. You should see that the registration form contains
    the AddRegistration question that you've created but does not contain the captcha. If you want
    to use both captcha and the AddRegistration question, then go back to Users/Registration in the
    Vanilla admin panel and this time select "Basic" and save. By doing this, it will show both elements.

Sheena

@jcncnc

thanks I'll add your info to the readme. and thank you for the donationfor using my plugin.

• @jcncnc said:
    By the way, we just made a small donation to you - thank you so much for this great script and your help!

thanks for steppping up and providing info for readme as well as a donation.

upgraded readem in

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/addregistrationquestion-plugin-1.4

added your specifics to readme as well as other info to read me, I am sure it will help some people

• jcncncjcncnc New
    edited December 2014

You're welcome peregrine. Thanks for this great plugin!

And good job on the new readme file. Now somebody like me could probably understand it!

Sheena

• @hgtonight thank you. I was going crazy reading all this and wondering why I don't have the line $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['Method'] = 'Captcha'; in my config.php file.

All I needed was a new key from https://www.google.com/recaptcha/admin

@jcncnc Thanks for the plugin, I'm checking it out now

• @Beatle said:
    hgtonight thank you. I was going crazy reading all this and wondering why I don't have the line $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['Method'] = 'Captcha'; in my config.php file.

All I needed was a new key from https://www.google.com/recaptcha/admin

jcncnc Thanks for the plugin, I'm checking it out now

Sorry, I meant @peregrine Thanks for the plugin, I'm checking it out now!

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@martin2008‌

I deleted your question, as you have already asked the same thing in a thread you posted.

Please be patient, and don't repeat questions on different threads.