Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

how to install sphinx

I have a question about this plugin, actually installing sphinx. My forum runs on an hosted server, a linux. I can connect to the server via FTP. And i have login option to the dashboard in which i can generate some databases, manage the files, create subdomains etc. stuff like that. I have no idea if it is possible to install and run sphinx at the webserver. I think i have no access at all to that ( is that normal for a guest to a hosted server?) The ones who installed sphinx on servers, they run a server private on their computers at home? Maybe should i ask this question to the helpdesk of my hosted company? I really have no idea about this...

Comments

• I don't know if you can compile programs on shared servers but if you can.

try this

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/27177/tutorial-manually-installing-sphinxsearch-from-source-via-make-and-configure

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• You will struggle to do this on anything less than vps or root server.

If you have standalone version sphinx, they may not allow anything to run in the web folder, and the web folder isn't the right place for it anyway.

People who have done this don't necessary have a server at home, but they pay for either dedicated or a good vps which allows them to install server architecture.

grep is your friend.

• mcu_hqmcu_hq yippie ki-yay ✭✭✭

I echo what @x00 and @peregrine‌ said. If you do manage to get it running, your host may kill the process. It's best to ask your hosting company like you said.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@mcu_hq said:
    I echo what x00 and peregrine‌ said. If you do manage to get it running, your host may kill the process. It's best to ask your hosting company like you said.

This is exactly what happened on a cheap host a client had. Got sphinx up and running but the daemon would get killed once it hit the 24 hour uptime mark.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.