Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

User roles are blank

lepellepel New
edited January 2015 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi everyone!

A question, I have just set up a new Vanilla forum by importing all my data from my old vBulletin board. The problem now is that all roles in my forum have no permissions, almost all boxes are unchecked. After watching the video at the bottom of http://vanillaforums.org/docs/configuration-dashboardusersrolespermissions I see that I have different roles than default (probably imported from vBulletin) and I still have no idea what the default settings should be.

I could just set up the roles to my liking but it is not clear to me what each checkbox does.

For example under Garden it says "Manage settings", what does this mean? Can the user manage it's own settings or also other user's settings? Same with the Default Category Permissions, do the "Edit" and "Delete" checkboxes mean users can edit and delete their own topics, or edit and delete everyone's topics?

My current roles are:

• Unregistered / Not Logged In
  • Registered Users
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
  • Users Awaiting Moderation
  • Super Moderators
  • Administrators
  • Moderators
  • Banned Users

Some have a few checkboxes but for example the Administrator role only has a check at View Email, Allow SignIn, Add Conversations and Me Comments. That doesn't seem right.

Best Answer

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin
    Answer ✓

You can find some screenshots here: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/219523#Comment_219523

Maybe it would help if you set up a clean installation parallel so that you can look at vanillas default settings. In general, only mods and admin would need "Manage" settings. Most often View, Add and Edit is all your users need.
    I'd suggest you start by revoking all rights, and add one by one like on the screenshots for a normal member. Than you'll go forward and revoke/add rights.

Admin should have ticked all boxes, but the superadmin users permission doesn't rely on that checkboxes.

Answers

Answer ✓

You can find some screenshots here: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/219523#Comment_219523

Maybe it would help if you set up a clean installation parallel so that you can look at vanillas default settings. In general, only mods and admin would need "Manage" settings. Most often View, Add and Edit is all your users need.
    I'd suggest you start by revoking all rights, and add one by one like on the screenshots for a normal member. Than you'll go forward and revoke/add rights.

Admin should have ticked all boxes, but the superadmin users permission doesn't rely on that checkboxes.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

So glad I hit refresh before starting to type a reply, @R_J!

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• lepellepel New
    edited January 2015

I've managed to get it all set up. I noticed a little box in the top right of the Roles & Permissions saying "Need more help?". That contained a video that explained what the Garden checkboxes were for (with a better explanation than on Vanilla's own website). I'd personally add a tooltip to the various checkboxes and rows/columns so that people can easily see what each option does. Maybe I'll create a suggestion topic in the designated board :)

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@lepel said:
    I've managed to get it all set up. I noticed a little box in the top right of the Roles & Permissions saying "Need more help?". That contained a video that explained what the Garden checkboxes were for (with a better explanation than on Vanilla's own website). I'd personally add a tooltip to the various checkboxes and rows/columns so that people can easily see what each option does. Maybe I'll create a suggestion topic in the designated board :)

I started writing a plugin that does just that, but scrapped the idea due to time constraints. I might have to revisit that soon.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2015

if you see the faq - you might have more insights on vanilla on role permission screen for 2.1

r_j's link pointed to vanilla 2.0 role screen (similar but perhaps different).

role permission screen for 2.1 below.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/219730/#Comment_219730

and a helpful current 2.1 faq of some sort.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/28420/faq/p1

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

I knew I had seen those screenshots but I must have known that your FAQ would be the right place to look for the answer!