Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Subscribing To Categories as a Member

It would appear that Members can't subscribe to categories and only Administrators can. Is there a way to change permissions for category subscriptions so that Members can subscribe to categories?

I'm using 2.2.

Comments

• 2.2 is alpha, and therefore not supported. Why are you using 2.2?

grep is your friend.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

You are looking for the Advanced Notifications permission.

Give that to Roles you want to have it.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @x00‌ Good question. I don't have the answer to that since I do not manage the site.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2015

@Rainman said:
    x00‌ Good question. I don't have the answer to that since I do not manage the site.

@Rainman you have better access to the manager of the site to ask that question then any of us, one would presume, :wink:

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/222631/#Comment_222631

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @hgtonight‌ Thanks! I didn't think to look at the rolls.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2015

The problem I see with subscription by mail for posts is this.

if you include the body of the message in the e-mail.

the users often neglect to see the edited comment that may be more updated or have totally different info in the edited comment. So, yes it can alert people to new messages, but it can also cause some people who are not attuned to rescan messages that may be edited.

e.g. I comment on a message. (an extreme case, but just to point out relying on e-mail)

that says "hi"

users gets an email with the body of message and just ignores it. never coming to forum to respond.

but if the user then edited that same comment to say

"emergency I need you"

the person would never know, if they were relying on the e-mail body.

from what I've seen on this forum even new forum administrators may not realize a comment is edited and provide different or added information.

but then again you say i haven't set my email to display message just a link.

same thing happens.

comment triggers link to e-mail recipients with link to message.

they read message.

5 minutes later comment is edited.

perhaps never to be read again by the person who might be most interested in the message.

point being e-mail may actually detract from user participation in forum, and/or might cause "unknowing users" not to see "most current information",

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.