Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Can't Stop Spammers

1235»

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2015

add this after you post your config.php

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/noroleassigned-plugin

run it and report back, post a creenshot suggested multiple times - no response by you regarding this.

post a screenshot fo your members role permissions after any changes that were suggested, if you decided to follow instructions regarding bad permissions settings.

please don't report how many members are joining or spam applicants until you can respond to what you changed and screenshots, and your config.php

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited January 2015

Denis you need to make sure that members do not have permissions to add other users. Remove the checkmark from the Member Role for adding User.

You created this problem by setting permissions wrong. Fix the permissions and ban or delete the Users who infiltrated your forum and are adding people. That is how they become members . They have been added by someone else.

• @vrijvlinder said:

Denis you need to make sure that members do not have permissions to add other users. Remove the checkmark from the Member Role for adding User.

You created this problem by setting permissions wrong. Fix the permissions and ban or delete the Users who infiltrated your forum and are adding people. That is how they become members . They have been added by someone else.

I guess he couldn't see this

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/223218/#Comment_223218

the typeface was too small

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @peregrine said:
    the typeface was too small

In one word: enlargement. It works.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2015

.> @Anonymoose said:

In one word: enlargement. It works.

ultimately and unfortunately, the problem is inability read comments and focus for some unknown reason and same answer has to be repeated 4 or 5 times before the op reads and follows instruction - the recurring theme. and a smattering of spam in this thread that adds little to helping the op.

******************* 8 steps to solving your problem ****************************************

• 1 read the comment
    • 2 read the comment again to make sure you understand it
    • 3 follow suggestion.
    • 4 if responder asks for additional information(e.g. screenshots files) , provide that information requested
    • 5 report back exactly exactly what you did in your own words to address the comment.
    • 6 re-read the comment, then re-read your response and see if you successfully did what was suggested and whether you stated in detail what you did.
    • 7 avoid running off on tangents and digressions,
    • 8 re read step 1 and repeat over and over.

******************* 8 steps to solving your problem ****************************************

@peregrine said: the typeface was too small

@vrijvlinder said:

In an effort to see if the type was the problem .....

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@vrijvlinder said:

<

h1>Denis you need to make sure that members do not have permissions to add other users. Remove the checkmark from the Member Role for adding User.

Repetition might also be a good idea.

• DenisSDenisS My brain hurts Buriram ✭✭
    edited January 2015

I sorry but I spent the whole day yesterday setting 2.1.6 as I wanted it's not there yet: Also while deleting "Members" and trying to fine out a way of banning an email domain, can't find a way.
    >
    I have reset user roles 2 days ago and it's made no difference I'm still getting about 250 new "members" and 50+ post's a day. I will look at the other suggestions on here today, thanks everyone for the help:

edited January 2015

What permissions do you have for Bulk Invite ?

What is the registration method ?

So is the problem on 2.1 or 2.0 or both ?

Have you banned those who infiltrated the forum ?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2015

you've lost me Denis. because you won't post your conf/config.php (making sure don't post your passwords or email and keys). I'm officially giving up until I see it. good luck.

a dear friend thinks this discussion is like playing "whack a mole"

adjustments made but answers to questions by people trying to help get glossed over and remain unanswered.
    then a new questions arises. op goes off on tangent tries something else in the guessing game, a new question asked and responder replies and has a followup questions it too remains unanswered, versions change, plugins change, etc.

edited January 2015

a dear friend thinks this discussion is like playing "whack a mole"

I tend to agree with your buddy... it also resembles a sinking inflatable raft. You patch one hole and water gets in from somewhere else...

Denis, #Focus on one thing at a time

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2015

as of today .... fyi: The 2.0 branch is no longer secure or supported! Upgrade!

since 2.0.x is now officially no longer secure.

probably best just to concentrate on 2.1.7 update and don't worry so much about theme and other cosmetic things.

then start a NEW discussion of you have a live forum and everything is upgraded to 2.1.7

and only relate info that is concerning vanilla 2.1.7 related spam.

with approval registration, do not use confirm-email, add registration question plugin, and registration restriction plugin, and or x00's http://vanillaforums.org/addon/nocaptcharecaptcha-plugin

if after installing these plugins above and have upgraded to 2.1.7 and you still have spam issues, when you do start a new discussion relating to vanilla 2.1.7

• please include a list of all your roles

• screenshots of all permissions for each role.

• post your config.php from 2.1.7 without passwords and sensitive info

• and run

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/noroleassigned-plugin

and post your results.

I think we should close this discussion re 2.0.18.x

• DenisSDenisS My brain hurts Buriram ✭✭

Ok I working on getting the new site up, the spam is tailing off now as they are being reported.