Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Upgrading to 2.1.7 from 2.1.6

edited January 2015 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

i want to upgrade from 2.1.6 to 2.1.7 please can i get help? i have been searching here and i am feeling unsecured about answers given.
i used this url : https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/blob/master/README.md#upgrading and i have this error : Failure

The update was not successful.

Comments

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited January 2015

Go to the URL /utility/structure and see what changes it is trying to make.

• Options
    edited January 2015

I also got the info 'The update was not successful.' right now updating from 2.1.6 to 2.1.7 :(

1. Backup your database, .htaccess and conf/config.php file somewhere safe.
    2. Upload the new release's files so they overwrite the old ones.
    3. Go to yourforum.com/index.php?p=/utility/update to force any updates needed.
    4. If it fails, try it a second times by refreshing the page.

I started with first point - done

Second point - done

Now I entered the dashboard and at the right bottom corner I see 2.1.7 - good

Now third point - failure

Proceeding with last point (point no. 4), refreshing the page - still failure

Now I put '$Configuration['Debug'] = TRUE;' into the config.php and tried to update again. I get following error message:

Fatal Error in PHP.set_time_limit();

set_time_limit() has been disabled for security reasons
    The error occurred on or near: /home/u994562928/public_html/bo4/applications/dashboard/controllers/class.utilitycontroller.php

Additional information for support personnel:

Application: Vanilla
    Application Version: 2.1.7
    PHP Version: 5.3.29
    Operating System: Linux
    Server Software: Apache
    User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:34.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/34.0
    Request Uri: /bo4/index.php?p=/utility/update
    Controller: PHP
    Method: set_time_limit

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2015

@Stoertebecker said:
    I also got the info 'The update was not successful.' right now updating from 2.1.6 to 2.1.7 :(

1. Backup your database, .htaccess and conf/config.php file somewhere safe.
    2. Upload the new release's files so they overwrite the old ones.
    3. Go to yourforum.com/index.php?p=/utility/update to force any updates needed.
    4. If it fails, try it a second times by refreshing the page.

I started with first point - done

Second point - done

Now I entered the dashboard and at the right bottom corner I see 2.1.7 - good

Now third point - failure

Proceeding with last point (point no. 4), refreshing the page - still failure

Now I put '$Configuration['Debug'] = TRUE;' into the config.php and tried to update again. I get following error message:

Fatal Error in PHP.set_time_limit();

see this for informational purposes.

http://se1.php.net/manual/en/function.set-time-limit.php

http://se1.php.net/manual/en/info.configuration.php#ini.max-execution-time

apparently the utility controller has a

set_time_limit(0);

so it complete all operations without timing out.

perhaps your configuration does not allow this to be used as seemingly indicated by

you MIGHT be able to get around things by commenting out the line

https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/blob/2.1/applications/dashboard/controllers/class.utilitycontroller.php#L16

(assuming everything can run within your php time limit settings).

or perhaps you can change your php.ini settings and/or safe mode as indicated in

http://se1.php.net/manual/en/function.set-time-limit.php

Alternatively you could try /utility/structure with debug turned off and run it a number of times and see what you can accomplish

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Unfortunately, my page is on a free hosting without access to the php.ini. :(

But is the point 'Go to yourforum.com/index.php?p=/utility/update' a must do?

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2015

it will ensure everything is set correctly with respect to data tables, etc.

so i would make an attempt to get it working.

did you try that with the line commented out and running /utility/structure first.

https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/blob/2.1/applications/dashboard/controllers/class.utilitycontroller.php#L16

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2015

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/219687/#Comment_219687

often hosts have a place where you add variables and adjust php.ini - did you ask host?

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

@Stoertebecker said:
    Unfortunately, my page is on a free hosting without access to the php.ini. :(

Free hosting is not a good idea for running this type of software. Their limitations make it useless. You can't store images and you can't upload etc. You get a set amount of memory and bandwidth and you are at their mercy if they decide to delete your account. They don't save your data.

You can find almost free services that are better. Free hosting is for people who don't care if their site gets deleted. If you don't care about not being able to use plugins or themes that eat up the allotted bandwidth and your site goes offline for exceeding that.

You have no access to server side issues. Free hosting is only good for static html pages.

• Options
    edited January 2015

@‌ peregrine

Ok. In class.utilitycontroller.php I removed set_time_limit(0);

Now I repeated the line with the upgrade - successful :)

But when I now run /utility/structure I get following info (following structure changes are required for your database.):

alter table GDN_AnalyticsLocal
    engine = innodb;

alter table GDN_Tag
    engine = innodb;

alter table GDN_Log
    engine = innodb;

alter table GDN_Regarding
    engine = innodb;

alter table GDN_Ban
    engine = innodb;

alter table GDN_TagDiscussion
    engine = innodb;

Pressing the button 'Run structure & data scripts' doesn't fix anything automatically. :(

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2015

@Stoertebecker said:

@‌ peregrine

Ok. In class.utilitycontroller.php I removed set_time_limit(0);

Now I repeated the line with the upgrade - successful :)

But when I now run /utility/structure I get following info (following structure changes are required for your database.):

alter table GDN_AnalyticsLocal engine = innodb;

alter table GDN_Tag engine = innodb;

alter table GDN_Log engine = innodb;

alter table GDN_Regarding engine = innodb;

alter table GDN_Ban engine = innodb;

alter table GDN_TagDiscussion engine = innodb;

Pressing the button 'Run structure & data scripts' doesn't fix anything automatically. :(

does your host provider support innodb engine?.

in relation to http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/223535/#Comment_223535
    apparently the utility controller has a

set_time_limit(0);

so it complete all operations without timing out.

perhaps your configuration does not allow this to be used as seemingly indicated by

you MIGHT be able to get around things by commenting out the line

@linc might want to chime in on this and other comments here.

• Options

'does your host provider support innodb engine?'

Ok... you are right. I checked the FAQ right now... and no... not supported. :(

I think I'll look for regular hosting due to too many limitations now @ peregrine (& vrijvlinder). Anyway... thank you for your support in my case. :)

• Options

good idea!

you do realize if you want to alert someone.

@ Stoertebecker does not work - why bother with the @ if you don't want to message.

but

@Stoertebecker does work if you do intend to notify.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2015

also if innodb engine is required for vanilla - it should be in the vanilla installation requirements, shouldn't it. if it is not already there in the documentation.

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I cannot imagine why Vanilla shouldn't be used with MyIsam only. If everything is alright, but only the alter engine part fails, I wouldn't care.

But since hosting is ridiculously cheap nowadays, I wouldn't risk storing my data at a free hosting service either.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2015

@R_J said:
    I cannot imagine why Vanilla shouldn't be used with MyIsam only. If everything is alright, but only the alter engine part fails, I wouldn't care.

it might get bogged down with large active forums probably if only MyIsam is used. not sure if other things break down if the engine is not correct for the respective tables.

I suspect the vanilla staff will be able to elucidate when time permits.

• Options

@Linc‌ I get the same error: "Failure The update was not successful." as the op. However, when going to myforum/utility/structure is says "There are no database structure changes required. There may, however, be data changes".

Does this mean I'm good? I've looked through my forum and everything seems to be fine.

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

Turn on debug mode to get the full error. It would still be good to get it saying "Success" so you're not running into this forever.

• Options

i tuned on debugging mode and nothing seems to show but still get the same error.