HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[Members List Enhanced] Anyone adopting this Addon? -- Need for "Roles" to be sortable.

I was going to contact peregrine to see if he might be willing to do the work (I was going to toss a donation his way if I could afford what it'd take), but his profile says he is no longer interested in doing work on this plugin or VF stuff I don't think.

I was wondering if there was someone that was going to adopt the plugin if I could contact them.

I think it'd be nice to be able to sort by Role. I mean... you can sort by anything else lol, why not a role?

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
    edited January 2015

The idea is to have a frontend version of /user?

EDIT - I speculate you can't sort by role because it is a 1-Many relationship (Each user can have many roles) that would complicate the query. Right now, the sort field is a single ORDER BY sql command.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• SicnusSicnus New
    edited January 2015

Ahhh ok that at least makes sense then. I didn't think about that.

/user doesn't exist on my board....

But the idea is so that our "Moderators" (We have Officers, Team Leaders, Sr. Officers, Guild Masters etc...) will be able to see the roles folks are in. It's also nice for members to be able to sort through and see a member in order to send them a PM too.

I don't want to have to give any more people access to "Add user" than I have to. I hate that I have to give out access to Add User in order for my Sr. Level folks to be able to see the "Reason to join" reason. :/

• @Sicnus

I was going to contact peregrine to see if he might be willing to do the work (I was going to toss a donation his way if I could afford what it'd take), but his profile says he is no longer interested in doing work on this plugin or VF stuff I don't think.

thx, but No need to.

People always say I was going to do this or that.

If you get offered a free ride on some one else's rocket ship. Don't ask which seat. And don't try to sell the rocket to someone else.

I am accepting donations feel free to send one for the existing plugin.

and for #$#%^#@$ sakes I've been on this forum for nearly 3 years every single @#$#@ day over 8 hours a day, trying to help both clueless and clueful users. I am taking a vacation from the repetitive questions on the forum, etc, and the people unwilling to read the FAQ, or the documentation.

I am not doing any code changes or features, until I decide to later.

Just because you just joined and want a feature doesn't mean my plugin is abandoned and does not mean it is up for Adoption. Neither are true.

The plugin works bug free for the current version. And I like it the way it is.

Write your own plugin from scratch or hgtonight can write his own YAMA YABA YIBRAa for you, without the need for my plugin code. I know he can do it.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• SicnusSicnus New
    edited January 2015

Apologies if I've offended. I thought you weren't around and didn't want to participate which is why I was asking folks where I should go.

My bad.

Edit: Also, Open Source software isn't a free ride on a rocket ship. It is about giving back to a community. Calling it a free ride seems to cheapen and lessen the importance of what is happening.

I spent a good 7 years of my life dedicated to the Linux / Open Source community exclusively so I understand about giving. Mine was as an artist and community manager instead of a programmer, but I've put my time in just the same. Anyway, I'm way off topic. Sorry again to offend you. It wasn't intended.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2015

the rocket ship analogy flew right over your head. you introduced the word "cheapen" I did not.

actually Open source Software - means you can look at the source it is not proprietary.

Open source DOES not mean GPL.

Open Source can also be software which you are free to use, but are not allowed to distribute. There can be lots of other limitations or requirements.

just because you want to give it more attribution, that may or may not be true. it doesn't mean it is.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited January 2015

@peregrine said:
    and for #$#%^#@$ sakes I've been on this forum for nearly 3 years every single @#$#@ day over 8 hours a day

It seems like a recurring thing here. 1) You complain people don't donate. 2) You get offered work for pay. 3) You refuse work, and complain that you aren't making money while spending all day here getting offended at people asking.

• You aren't good at customer service or tech support — you don't have the patience for it, so don't answer questions if you can't answer them.

• You are good at writing code — start accepting offers to write code and make some money. Maybe that will put a 😀 on your face.

• Every time you raise a hostile stink over somoene asking a question is one more drop in the bucket against the cause of Vanilla, and one more Vanilla user upset. Think about it on your terms: Everytime you burst out with this sort of drama, one less person sees you as a ‘nice guy’ worthy of a donation.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2015

@Anonymoose said:

It seems like a recurring thing here.

1) You complain people don't donate. 2) You get offered work for pay. 3) You refuse work,

• basically you must be a dolt. I said I was on vacation.

• the op said he was thinking of tossing a donation, I said feel free to for the existing plugin. Personally, I like the plugin as is (and don't want to bloat it with feature requests) It may be a much longer vacation because of you anonymoose.

• In this discussion I did not complain about people who don't donate. how the f*ck, do you know what I've refused or haven't refused, unless you've been secretly creating multiple screennames and persistently pmming me for things as a sockpuppet. which i don't doubt, you are a sockpuppet.

2) You get offered work for pay. 3) You refuse work,

please provide a detailed list. you sniper without a clue.

• I said the plugin was not abandoned.

• Grind your axe on yourself anonymoose, since you've got lots of baggage.

the only recurring theme I see is that you anonymoose do the whining and have not donated (at least to me). and I don't want one from you anonymoose. I'd also prefer you to stop hassling me. I will also stay out of discussions that you make an arse out of yoursefl as well.

I have done you a number of favors and probably helped you on over 20 occasions and have rewritten plugins a number of times for you specifically, without the expectation of receiving a donation from you. because I know people like you anonymoose as you are. Look through your discussions and see how many are carps from you versus something constructive. Nor do I want a donation from you anonymoose.

look in your own mirror.

read my comments - see how many people I might have helped vs. yours. simple enough.

As I said.

I am on vacation FROM trying to help both clueless and clueful users. I am taking a vacation from the repetitive questions on the forum, etc, and the people unwilling to read the FAQ, or the documentation.

As i said I have not abandoned the plugin, and I like it just the way it is. see above comment.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

I would say STFU but

It seems like a recurring thing here. 1) You complain people don't donate.

because they want free rides for everything. 5 bucks is good but he should accept more yet he is the gift that keeps on giving ... How many addons have you created for people ?

Yea , not even close as many not to count those he deleted

• You aren't good at customer service or tech support — you don't have the patience for it, so don't answer questions if you can't answer them.

Not fck true. Even if he loses patience he comes through in the end what about your track record helping instead of complaining ?

yea, not sure I have ever seen you give support , just complain.

• Every time you raise a hostile stink over somoene asking a question is one more drop in the bucket against the cause of Vanilla, and one more Vanilla user upset. Think about it on your terms: One less person who sees you as a ‘nice programmer guy’ worthy of a donation.

As opposed to all the ones that see you as a nice programmer or anything ?

Yea , just complaints but no solutions...

What you have said is insulting to everyone who has donated and ever got help from peregrine that got real solutions .You suck .

I am not sure how to control myself and not insult you the way many would want me to at this moment.

peregrine is the most valuable asset on this forum. And if you can't replace him with your nice ways and programing skill I suggest you keep your yap sealed because you are not capable of replacing him. That I know for sure.

• AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited January 2015

@vrijvlinder said:
    I would say STFU but
    I am not sure how to control myself

See, that's the problem right there for both of you. You need to loosen up and chill out instead of seething with rage at people asking questions.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2015

@Anonymoose said:See, that's the problem

yes. I see you are the problem, a whinging carping sniper. that is like a bad smell that doesn't go away.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

To Those people who have been helped and their problems solved whilst being under attacks of seething rage , Please stand up and testify!!!!

Otherwise show your support your favorite MVP peregrine <3<3<3

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2015

But the idea is so that our "Moderators" (We have Officers, Team Leaders, Sr. Officers, Guild Masters etc...) will be able to see the roles folks are in. It's also nice for members to be able to sort through and see a member in order to send them a PM too.

this would be simple to do without getting into the many role permutations possible,

you could use symbol edit plugin and assign each person to one of 12 options. create your own icons assuming you can find someone to create icons for you. No, symboledit plugin is not abandoned either and I am not writing feature requests for that plugin either at the moment. I like it as it is as well. Plus I am on vacation.

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/symboledit-plugin

then you could pseudo sort on role via symbol edit field without screwing with code of either plugin or adding any code.

It's also nice for members to be able to sort through and see a member in order to send them a PM too.

user names and avatars are clickable and go to the profile. it is not too onerous to click the user name in the member list which take you to the profile and click send message. one man's feature is another man's bloat.

since you've worked for 7 years as a community manager for open source, did you meet any programmers who might be able to help you, or did you learn any php, it is quite a simple language, probably the easiest language ever written. You probably did.

see - for inspiration even managers can learn to code..or at least windows.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30054140

Five-year-old passes Microsoft exam

or maybe the kid is available for hire.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
    edited January 2015

@Sicnus said:

/user doesn't exist on my board....

I certainly hope it does. It is what you use to see users via the dashboard.

@peregrine‌ @Anonymoose‌ @vrijvlinder‌ just chill out and remember the best part of the internet is you get to not respond.

Hope you have a good vacation @peregrine. :)

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

This discussion has been closed.