Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Applicant spam filtering -- by keyword match?

Hi I'm getting Spam applicants. I have registration method set to Approve, and confirmation email is enabled. So they're not creating accounts. The noise is just drowning out the real applicants.

I see there is a cleanser plugin for cleaning up the database.

Is there a way to set up a filter on Applicants, based on matching criteria on the registration fields, which would reject them at the very outset -- not even create the application?

All of my spam applicants are supplying the same "reason" for why they want to apply, so a pattern match on the reason would detect them.

Comments

• agcyphersagcyphers Nooooop.

Don't know that I can help you with the filtering, but I'm using the Registration Question plugin in 2.1.8 to create my own sort of Captcha (something like "What is Red + Yellow?" with the answer being "Orange"). Seems to work well so far.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

First things first, you should really upgrade to 2.1.

I believe there is/was a plugin called RegistrationRestriction that lets you restrict registrations based on a phrase. I can't seem to find it right now.

I personally find Akismet and StopForumSpam are great at detecting spam and leaving the ham.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• I'm on Vanilla 2.1, sorry I picked the wrong category.

• @hgtonight‌ Here this is the one: RegistrationRestrictLogger.

Thanks for your help.