Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Unable to access 'Bam...' test discussion after fresh install

Hello,

I recently installed Vanilla and JsConnect for testing with our wordpress site. Its installed on a pretty vanilla Linux box with NGINX and php5-fpm, accessing a remote MySQL instance. I have a rather unusual error, the default 'Bam...' test discussion is only reachable about 50% of the time. The rest of the time, it gives a 404 error ?!?! Refreshing the page several times eventually causes it to load. So far I've been unable to find any errors in the logs - I'm at a loss to explain this behavior and would appreciate any help...

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

I am guessing the remote mysql server is timing out.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• I can't seem to find any errors anywhere - are mysql errors/timeouts logged somewhere ? I'm going to try installing with a local DB, but in production we use a remote mysql cluster. So it would be nice if I could figure this out...

• Hmm - it appears DB connectivity is the issue. Running directly against a local mysql seems to be fine. Hitting our HAProxy/Percona cluster causes issues.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

I have successfully run Vanilla with a remote db cluster. I am guessing it is just a configuration issue.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Still no joy on the remote DB. I'm not sure what could be mis-configured - it only asks for the basic host, user, pass, db stuff - if any of that was wrong, it won't have installed (or work at all).

I 'feels' like a timeout of some sort - but even when it fails and gives 'no discussions found', it executes really fast - 14 queries in 0.055592060089111s according to the debug output. So its not waiting on a long timeout...

• Think I figured it out - Vanilla is forcing discussions to be a myisam table so it can fulltext index it. This doesn't doesn't work with stock perconna xtradb configurations - it doesn't get replicated. So I only see the discussion when the query happens to run on the same db server the record was created on.