Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Exclude a category/discussion from badges and points.

Hello,
I really have to thank you so much for this powerful and wonderful application.
My question is ; How can I exclude a a discussion or a category from receiving badges and points. In other words, I want to make a category or a discussion where my members can have free talk without getting any points or badges.
Thank you so much!

Comments

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Thanks for trying my addon.

I can see this being done via a plugin. There is no current way to block all rules based on the area of the site you are in. This could theoretically be achieved if you temporarily disable the badge system early on in the dispatch phase.

What kind of badges are you worried about getting?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

If it's only the comment count, you could use the plugin with the great name of DiscountDiscussions:
    http://vanillaforums.org/addon/discountdiscussions-plugin

But it might not be entirely bulletproof, because counts generally aren't either.

• Options

Thank you @hgtonight for your response and excellent addon. I'm worried about auto awarded badges. I have tried disabling them temporarily in the dispatch phase but I find out that disabling them for a while may deprive other users in other discussions of getting them.

I realy like the plugin that @Bleistivt provided. It will solve 50% of my problem.

Thank you all for your very useful help.

• Options

I meant disable the badge system if certain conditions are met. Temporarily disabling the badge system would only affect that user. I am think of the following pseudo-code:

public function gdn_dispatch_beforeDispatch_handler($sender) {
      if($controller == 'discussion' && discussion[categoryID] == $categoryID) {
        SaveToConfig('Yaga.Badges.Enabled', false, array('Save' => false));
      }
    }

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Would you mind stating the exact file of the application in which I can make these changes? Thanks again

• Options

@batisbat said:
    Would you mind stating the exact file of the application in which I can make these changes? Thanks again

Check out the plugin quickstart here: http://docs.vanillaforums.com/developers/plugins/quickstart/

If you prefer to read code, check out my testing ground plugin here: https://github.com/hgtonight/Plugin-TestingGround

Search first

• Options

I am sorry for bothering you with my questions. I thought it was an easy task. Unfortunately, I am not a code developer, I just make use of ready made plugins and codes that you created. Thanks

• Options

@batisbat said:
    I am sorry for bothering you with my questions. I thought it was an easy task. Unfortunately, I am not a code developer, I just make use of ready made plugins and codes that you created. Thanks

No problem. :)

If you are at all familiar with coding, Vanilla is great to work with.

Search first