Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Help with error.

DanDevineDanDevine
edited March 2015 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Anyone can shed any light on what is throwing this error message. It appears to be the modified emailsubscribe 2.1 plugin but it has been working in the past and just started doing this. Using 2.1.8p1 at this point. Notification emails are being sent but this is the error popup:

exception 'phpmailerException' with message 'SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host.' in /home/devinephoto/www.berksbassmasters.com/vanilla-2/library/vendors/phpmailer/class.phpmailer.php:821

Stack trace:
#0 /home/devinephoto/www.berksbassmasters.com/vanilla-2/library/vendors/phpmailer/class.phpmailer.php(706): PHPMailer->SmtpConnect()
#1 /home/devinephoto/www.berksbassmasters.com/vanilla-2/library/vendors/phpmailer/class.phpmailer.php(577): PHPMailer->SmtpSend('Date: Thu, 26 M...', 'dandevine has s...')
#2 /home/devinephoto/www.berksbassmasters.com/vanilla-2/library/core/class.email.php(256): PHPMailer->Send()
#3 /home/devinephoto/www.berksbassmasters.com/vanilla-2/plugins/EMailSubscribe/default.php(92): Gdn_Email->Send()
#4 /home/devinephoto/www.berksbassmasters.com/vanilla-2/library/core/class.pluginmanager.php(705): EMailSubscribe->PostController_AfterDiscussionSave_Handler(Object(PostController), Array, 'postcontroller_...')
#5 /home/devinephoto/www.berksbassmasters.com/vanilla-2/library/core/class.pluginmanager.php(638): Gdn_PluginManager->CallEventHandler(Object(PostController), 'PostController', 'AfterDiscussion...', 'Handler')
#6 /home/devinephoto/www.berksbassmasters.com/vanilla-2/library/core/class.pluggable.php(144): Gdn_PluginManager->CallEventHandlers(Object(PostController), 'PostController', 'AfterDiscussion...')
#7 /home/devinephoto/www.berksbassmasters.com/vanilla-2/applications/vanilla/controllers/class.postcontroller.php(253): Gdn_Pluggable->FireEvent('AfterDiscussion...')
#8 [internal function]: PostController->Discussion('')
#9 /home/devinephoto/www.berksbassmasters.com/vanilla-2/library/core/class.dispatcher.php(350): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
#10 /home/devinephoto/www.berksbassmasters.com/vanilla-2/index.php(46): Gdn_Dispatcher->Dispatch()
#11 {main}

Thanks,

Dan

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Have you verified your SMTP server is up and your credentials are valid?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Thanks Hgtonight,

Yes, it is sending out the email notifications to the users. There is a long delay during the post operation and then I receive the email notification. Shortly after that the above error message pops up. I am using a GMail account for the notifications. Not sure if that matters. I am going to try and upgrade to the latest Vanilla version and see if it persists.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@DanDevine it is not suggested to use gmail as your email server unless you have a paid plan.

Post back after the update.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Ok,

Will do. Didn't know that. We have a small user base. Less than 50 users but I will see what else I can come up with. Will do the update.

Thanks!

• Ok, updated to latest version of forum software and edited a new copy of Emailsubscribe, changed the email account from gmail and all appears to be working again.

Thanks,

Dan