HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Addon licensing now required to be GPL2-compatible

2»

Comments

• I'm aware that MIT, allows for GPL comparability. GPL cannot be turn easily into MIT. However I was confused about how GPL views plugins an extensions, if they are derivative works or similar to libraries.

Obviously if it does think of them as derivative works, we know that GPL requires derivative work to be GPLd, but evidently it doesn't.

grep is your friend.

• +1 Apache v2

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited March 2015

@ddumont said:
    +1 Apache v2

GPL2 and Apache2 are not compatible.

http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html

grep is your friend.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Would it be okay if I use that one for future releases? http://www.dbad-license.org/

• I suspect it won't on the basis that you are technically able to sell GPL unforked, even if it is available elsewhere for free. Of course this is dumb, but possible.

The flip side is the originator can charge a fee for a copy, then you can distribute that for nothing.

In that dbad licence you aren't allowed to sell copies unchanged. GPL is not supposed to concerned about the cost to software at all. It is more that the source should always be available.

DWTFYL should be compatible.

grep is your friend.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Since I don't care about having a serious license, I like licenses that express my indifference. DWTFYL does it quite well =)

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@R_J said:
    Since I don't care about having a serious license, I like licenses that express my indifference. DWTFYL does it quite well =)

In my opinion, the MIT is the license of indifference. Others that attempt to inject humor are not necessarily on the firmest legal footing.

• AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited April 2015

👍👍👍 on the MIT license.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited April 2015

MIT and BSD protects you against getting sued for the software not working or breaking down. It is an 'as is' no express warranty clause.

grep is your friend.