Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Does Not Work On Operamini. Editors Do Not Work Well On Mobile

Hello Support,

I am using the vanilla script that i hosted myself.

i found out that vanilla forum does not display nor work well with operamini. Over here in Nigeria, that is a very big deal because most of internet users here use lite browsers like operamini to save data.

Is there anyway this amazing forum script can be adjusted to work well in operamini?

Another thing i noticed is that none of the editors (text editors) are working well with mobile. In most of them, i cannot even copy and paste into them.

Please look into the forum's compatibility issues with mobile browsers because most internet access these days are on mobile.

Thanks.

Chris.

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Welcome to the community!

Vanilla operates fairly well with the mobile theme enabled. Do you see the mobile theme when viewing your site?

Most editors disable themselves when in mobile mode. Which specific editor are you looking at?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• thanks @hgtonight i actually do see mobile theme. i am looking at WYSIWYG editor. anyone of them, either ckeditor or tinymice.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Most of the editors disable themselves because a) they use JS which can be power hungry and b) aren't optimized for touch interfaces.

If you want to test them out anyway, look for the MobileFriendly attribute in the plugin info and set it to TRUE. If it doesn't exist, you will have to add it.

For example, the WYSIWYG (cleditor) plugin doesn't specify that it is mobile friendly. Open up /plugins/cleditor/default.php and add 'MobileFriendly' => TRUE, on line 63. This should put your line right between the RequiredPlugins and HasLocale key definitions.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Jonathan WJonathan W Scranton, PA

Not just power hungry as @hgtonight said, but I could also remember something about Opera Mini specifically. I did a quick search to confirm:
    https://dev.opera.com/articles/opera-mini-and-javascript/

Opera Mini doesn't serve full pages to the browser. Instead, a middle-man (Opera Server) is served the page, and it is then sent down in a mobile-optimized fashion to the Opera Mini browser. This means that for Javascript to work, it actually has to take a few round-trips to do anything.

If you must support Opera Mini, it might be a worthy endeavor to look for things that don't require Javascript. That article has a paragraph on how to detect if someone is using Opera Mini, so that might be a nice place to start if you want to write a theme that adapts specifically to that browser.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited May 2015

Opera mini essentially send pre-rendered pages and snippets in Binary format. That would be fine if it wasn't for the fact that most javascript is there to interact with the DOM.

grep is your friend.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

In order to avoid all those inconveniences, you would have to write a theme and that theme would have to override a lot of functionality in order to avoid AJAX calls. It's (very,very,very,very!) tedious but possible.

By the way: icon fonts are also not supported: https://dev.opera.com/blog/opera-mini-8-for-ios/

• Opera mini would be great for things like wikipedia. I'm not sure that Vanilla is the right choice of forum for it though. There is too much development in the opposite direction.

You might try very simple forums like punbb (not tried)

To make vanilla compliant at this stage would a lot of work, and would be going against the grain

It is a tough call, as the connectivity is not how we are used to, in rural parts of developing countries.

grep is your friend.