Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

BootStrap Help? - Views

Dose anyone know how to make it so the bootstrap theme only makes one view for each ip when someone click the discussion?

Comments

• Nice question!
    I'd been looking the class.discussioncontroller.php file and I don't found anything, but maybe is not there.
    I'm looking for the same, any solution?

• Yeah me too.

• @vrijvlinder You know a way? Lol

• Wait now I get it do you know were I find the class.discussioncontroller.php file like what folder lol :proud:

• @vrijvlinder said:
    LMFAO!!!

SMEXI

• I'm lose

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@VizionMc said:
    Dose anyone know how to make it so the bootstrap theme only makes one view for each ip when someone click the discussion?

Read about MVC: the information how often a discussion has been "viewed" is in the database. All database interactions happens in the Model. Bootstrap is a theme which alters the View. Additionally it alters the view mainly by styling with CSS.

Do you really think you can change the view count depending on IP addresses with CSS? If no, let's continue. If yes, go to wikipedia and understand what HTML, CSS, JS, PHP are good for. You don't need to be able to use any of them to understand that your question is a PHP question...

So if it is a PHP question, it is a either a settings or a plugin question.

@VizionMc should have asked:
    Is there a setting so that only unique views per IP are counted?

Nope. Why should there be such a setting? Based on IP is based on best guess. Why change the view count to something arbitrary, when every click really means a view?

Is there a plugin that counts only one view per IP visit?

Don't know. Have you looked through the plugins? Maybe for something like "unique views"?

Will anybody write me a plugin that counts only one view per IP visit?

a) I will not
    b) Maybe anybody else thinks that this is a great idea and will write that plugin for free
    c) Tell how much money a feature like that is worth to you and maybe someone will respond

Can anybody show me how to write such a plugin?

Ah! That's my weak spot! But based on your experience I think that would come down to "Will anybody write me a plugin" and no, I will not.

• @R_J said:

LOL, so good answer. I sent you a message so I feel I get answered hahah :3

@VizionMc said:
    I'm lose

I would be happy to write that plugin, but I guess my PHP knowledge is quite far low... or maybe not but I have only experience on design and APP/Games.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

I wrote a plugin that tracked unique IPs per discussion and kept a denormalized number on the discussions table. I generally wouldn't suggest it, but this system automatically purged the data once a certain threshold was hit, so the worst case scenario was (threshold - 1) * number of discussions records.

It wasn't exactly trivial, and I wouldn't suggest doing it as a general count system.

A better idea would be to count the watch data for the discussion. This would only let you count logged in users, but that data is already being tracked for you by the core.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Is the plugin on the forums?

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@VizionMc said:
    Is the plugin on the forums?

Sorry, no. It was a commission for a private client. Re-reading my post, I seem to have edited out that part.

Again, sorry.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• edited May 2015

Its okay. Thanks for your time