HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Difference between Activity and Discussion

rdilaurordilauro New Milford, CT New

I am brand new to Vanilla. I am working on a project that is migrating an existing Drupal forum community to Vanilla. I am looking at some of the differences so that I can help with the migration. I am an Administrator on the new Vanilla system. One thing that has me puzzled. Its probably just terminology that is new to me.
That is the difference between** Discussion** and** Activity** I understand discussions, that is the recent ongoing dialogue of threads and posts. Now activity, seems to be just recent 'activity' in the system? Who has joined, who is online, etc? Is that sorta of correct?

I did try a search for this, but I failed because I just found discussions about activity or discussions but not explaining what they meant. I have looked at the Vanilla tutorials we have installed, but cant find what I am looking for.

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Discussion = Thread
    Comment = Post
    Activity = Something happening (board-wide notifications, status updates, personal notifications, and comments on any of these things)

There is also the private message feature with involves conversations and messages. These are equivalent to discussion/comments.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• rdilaurordilauro New Milford, CT New

Ok, thanks the makes sense now. I just want to make sure I had it clear. Is General Banter the place for general questions? Our site has many categories, and I have one reserved for suggestions, help, etc. I just want to make sure I post in the appropriate area. I always tell my members to read the Forum Rules and our FAQ. Can I assume your tutorials accomplish some of that?

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

This forum is mostly for technical support of Vanilla. The tutorials reflects that.

General banter is fine.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.