Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Login successful but not showing so have to refresh!

On my site, when you login, whether you login to your account you already created or login via Facebook. The homepage doesn't update and still shows that that user has not logged in! You have to refresh the page for it to show.

Why is this happening?

Check it and try it for yourself please http://droneflyers.club/

Thanks.

Comments

• Hi there could I get some help on this? Same thing is happening still. Even when I login, I have to refresh the page for the login to show as successful.

Has anyone else experience this before and know why it happens / how to fix?

Thanks!

• idealmikeidealmike New
    edited May 2015

What do you mean? I am already using it. Although mine says Bootstrap version 2.5.0. And that is
    Bootstrap 2.5.1. How do I update it?

• Okay upgraded. Exactly same thing happening still..............

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

I believe your theme has some JS conflicts.

Try using the default theme. If you have the same issue with the default theme, report back.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Yep, is issue with the theme. Was using the Bootstrap theme. Will post in there see if anyone else experiences same thing.

• AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Headband Afficionado Cole Harbour, NS ✭✭✭

@hgtonight and @idealmike how did you figure out there were JS conflits? I have the exact same thing happening at http://trstriathlon.com/TRSForum . It's a real dog's breakfast, theme-wise, so View Source/Inspect Element at your own risk.

Also, I have the same issue with the default theme. :(

OK, even with all plugins except twitter sign in disabled, it still happens. Must be something weird with my twitter app I guess. Vanilla 2.1.8p1

Ugh, nope. That seems to be fine. So confused. jsconnect redirects fine too. arrrrgh

• BleistivtBleistivt Moderator

@AaronWebstey press F12 in your browser. A console should open, which shows js errors (maybe you have to switch to the console tab). Now try to log in and see if any arror appear there.

Thanks @Bleistivt ! I should have mentioned that I already checked the console for errors. Nothing :(

It does look like it's doing a redirect (I see a very quick flash of the page's elements after the Twitter popup window disappears). But the page just stays the same. I also just remembered that this was even happening on the backend - after I disabled a plugin or changed a setting - only SOMEtimes - I'd have to do a refresh to see that the desired effect had occurred. ???

• BleistivtBleistivt Moderator

So it only happens with Twitter SignIn?

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Can you use remote debugging to step through the code?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

G+, FB, regular login and jsconnect all work. So yep, just Twitter. So very confused.

Hoping 2.2 comes out soon, and that maybe it'll solve a bunch of issues including this. Planning on doing a fresh install, re-building from the ground up, and exporting all conversations to the new install.

@hgtonight I'll have to give that a shot. Thanks for the suggestion!

Well this is not encouraging. We just upgraded our hosting package, and the login refresh issue went away, magically. WTF? @peregrine , were you playing a prank on me? Did I DM you my FTP info when I was drunk some night? ;)

I'm both relieved and confused. Thanks for the advice, everyone!

• edited June 2015

I am having a similar issue, but I thought I'd post here instead of starting a new thread.

Some info:

• Using Vanilla 2.1.10
    • Using Facebook and Twitter Sign In Plugins
    • Using Custom Theme (but this seems to happen no matter what theme I use)

Reproduction steps:

• Click sign in button
    • Sign in window appears
    • Attempt to log in with valid username and password
    • (Sometimes 50/50, I get a red "Please Try Again" error, which goes away if I try again)
    • When sign in window closes, nothing refreshes.
    • In order to see myself as logged in, I need to press "Categories" or enter a Discussion. (not even F5 refreshing works(

Other fun facts:

• This happens on multiple different computers, user names, and browsers (Firefox and Chrome)
    • I installed Vanilla via my GoDaddy hosting account, and then manually upgraded following all the steps listed in the Vanilla documentation.
    • I really think this is some sort of caching issue, but I'm not too familiar with Vanilla's inner workings and I'm afraid to mess up my install.
    • No javascript errors pop up in my console in Google Chrome.

Forum in question:
    http://www.hivejump.com/community
    (set in invite-only mode right now, but happy to invite anyone who can help troubleshoot)

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

• I have the same problem!
    Any help?
    i am using 2.2 .
    I am not using any plugins and default bootstrap theme.

• edited July 2016

bumpity bump - same problem... vanilla 2.2.

i wonder how many need to whine about this before this issue gets fixed.

Sign in in vanilla has several issues:

• Not refreshing after sign in (might be some cache problem or cloudflare)
    • Wordpress comments opening in iframe after login with popup box
    • Wrong redirection to discussions after login, and not to the origin url from where user signed it

I wonder, do we have to switch software or this trivial issues will keep on dragging from one into another version

• Bump - I think a lot of people would appreciate a fix to this problem