HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How do I set up my signature in THIS forum

rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one"NY ✭✭✭

I see that some members have signatures and I'd like to add one too (nothing fancy, just the current version & theme I'm using).
couldn't find how to set it up but this could easily be explained by my refrigerator blindness (that's when my wife asks me to bring something from the fridge and I can't see it even though it is in front of me).

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭

Well, at this pace (getting to 500 points) the signature will probably say Vanilla Version 5.3.11...
    Don't understand why, my purpose was to ensure I don't forget to have this info available to any question I post, but I'm sure wiser minds have a good reason...

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

It's sort of a minor security concern to perpetually broadcast your current version number. We considered making it a profile field, but between that and the potential of using many versions, it just doesn't seem that useful overall. Version is important in the context of particular questions / discussion, not per-user.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Oh snap! I remember there was an issue with the signature by the time I became MVP and then I totally forgot about it o.O

Now I will torture my brain if I should tell the world my favorite joke (only 6 words, so don't panic), show my favorite cartoon - well, I don't have one, but if I had, it would be a Calvin & Hobbes Cartoon, but for this forum this one might be more suitable:

Or simply prove that I'm a smart ass and post a let-me-google-that-for-you link to the Vanilla FAQ.

Hmm... some annoying ascii art would also be an alternative.

Are animated GIFs allowed?

Send me all your money... MUAHAHAHA

Or I simply forget about it again...

• rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭

Thanks you @link, that does make sense even beyond the 500 points, but you touched upon something when you wrote > @Linc said:

Version is important in the context of particular questions / discussion, not per-user.

In this comment related to questions eqituette I made a suggestion to that specific issue. Here is a copy:

Which brings me to think that omission may be part of being human and perhaps a form-like discussion for questions would help everyone. I'm thinking of a form that would ask for the very things the good advice mentioned above asked for: Vanilla Version, Theme name, name of plugin in question, and any other input you may think is useful. It would remind those who post the questions and would probably allow better search based on these form fields.

Just an idea...

• BleistivtBleistivt Moderator

There is no need to ask for the version. Only the newest (stable) version is supported.

well, I see plenty of people asking and getting volunteer feedback on previous versions. Besides, the version question is just one of the things volunteers asked for (theme name also comes to mind;-)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2015

@Bleistivt said:
    There is no need to ask for the version. Only the newest (stable) version is supported.

True with subtle effects...

with categories specific version numbers it helps.

unfortunately, people continue to post questions in discussions in 2.2 if they are using 2.1 and vice versa.

but it would still help people in the future when the version numbers increment. A version number specified in the discussion, could theoretically help future readers place the change within the framework on a temporal level.

And people tack on questions to discussions related to older versions and then wonder why the line numbers of code is different.

@rrbrahmson said:
    couldn't find how to set it up but this could easily be explained by my refrigerator blindness (that's when my wife asks me to bring something from the fridge and I can't see it even though it is in front of me).

be glad your problem only occurs in the kitchen and not in other rooms.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.