HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

WordPress Plugin and Vanilla

AdrianAdrian Wandering SpiritMontreal MVP
edited July 2015 in Feedback

Howdy,

I'd like to ask a favor: if you are using our WordPress plugin, can you please share some rating feedback? Apparently they crowd-source compatibility, but not enough people are sharing their feedback (even though there has been over 2,000+ downloads). If it's not working, I'll try to help you, but there are no issue as far as I know. Also if you love the plugin, please do us a favor and give us an overall rating on it :)

In case you didn't know, the WordPress plugin is free and does work with either the open source or hosted versions of Vanilla. We run it on our Vanilla blog, and I personally use it on a couple of others as well. If you aren't using it yet, time to try it out:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/vanilla-forums/

Comments

• AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP
    edited July 2015

Oh and if you need it, here are some handy integration videos:

• @Adrian feedback would be that connect (may be fixed) used hooks that were not universally use in every theme, the choice of hook could have been better. Which is why I always use the unofficial version, for jsConnect as at least this always had an endpoint (although I'm not really a fan of end points that don't go through the dispatcher I know this will work).

Also the scraping approach to comments is likely to fail have problems, if the document are not exactly laid out as expected. Instead retrieving the post through API would make more sense.

grep is your friend.

• Also the benefit of API approach is it will work with private blogs.

grep is your friend.

Thanks for that feedback @x00 -- I will pass it along to Todd/Linc. If you also are not aware we have placed the WordPress plugin code on Github, and are open to code suggestions

https://github.com/vanilla/wordpress-vanilla

I know we have a new API hoodies coming so I think it should make things easier in the future, but as you more it does work in most cases....

I won't lie, though, my post was more a marketing issue. I was targeting the ratings at WordPress.org as over 2000 people are using the plugin, but not actually voting (and some of them are here). I know most people use it without issue and with the latest version of WordPress. I was hoping to get people to vote on the compatibility and also on the star ratings. I have already voted myself, because I know it works on the several WP installs I run, but WordPress and their compatibility needs more voters to update the fact it works on the latest version.

• 2000 downloads ;)

grep is your friend.

edited July 2015

Yes @x00, over 2000 downloads -- cut me some slack when I wrote the above before 7 am :tongue: . The OP mentions it's 2000+ downloads...

Update
    Now that I look at it closer, I am right. There are over 2,000 active installs :)

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@x00 said:
    the choice of hook could have been better.

Have you filed an issue for how this could fail? It's in the addons repo.

@x00 said:
    Also the scraping approach to comments is likely to have problems, if the document are not exactly laid out as expected. Instead retrieving the post through API would make more sense.

The API is a new feature. It also is going to require some more lengthy setup instructions, whereas 99.9% of WordPress owners will never modify comments template, and if they did, they'd probably have the technical savvy at that point to work around it. I'm not aware of this choice actually causing problems for anyone.

• The API is a new feature. It also is going to require some more lengthy setup instructions, whereas 99.9% of WordPress owners will never modify comments template, and if they did, they'd probably have the technical savvy at that point to work around it. I'm not aware of this choice actually causing problems for anyone.

I'm actually talking about the scraping of the wordpress post from wordpress page, in order to make a discussion. It is common to have quite different layout. Scraping is not ideal.

The API would be to push the post to a discussion. Alternatively it could be pulled from wordpress.

grep is your friend.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@x00 said:
    The API would be to push the post to a discussion. Alternatively it could be pulled from wordpress.

Right, but then you need an API key on the WordPress side from Vanilla, and we don't have an official open source API at the moment, so this sounds like a world of hurt for the average WordPress user. "Go get X Vanilla API addon, generate a key, paste it over here" as opposed to "You're already done".

Also, the scraping respects open graph data tags, so if you're modifying your templates you can just add those and be done with it - no plugin code changes needed.

I admit I would value creating discussions at the time of posting, but it's just not a killer feature for most folks using the addon as far as I can tell. I feel like WordPress-to-Vanilla publishing is a different feature, which I actually have on my personal to-do list for my sites.