HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

What is the easiest way to stay up to date with any new Vanilla updates?

I've inherited a forum with such an old version of Vanilla on it that I'm doing a fresh install. However, after this is complete I'd like to stay as up-to-date as possible with any new changes that Vanilla might have. What's the best way of doing this? I'm looking for an "update" button somewhere in the Dashboard but suspect it's not going to be that easy.

Comments

• mtschirsmtschirs ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015

A good way to stay up-to-date with the (productive) master branch is to

You can easily use git submodules to integrate third party plugins and applications into your local repository.

Personally, I use Eclipse (with egit and web developer tools) and Ant for deployment (which would even allow you to deploy via FTP to a shared webhost).

• Thank you @mtschirs - it looks like I will need to increase my skills with git to do that, but perhaps that's ok

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

I would suggest you checkout the release/2.1 branch if you are going the git route.

The master branch is not tested outside of Vanilla, Inc.'s infrastructure.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @hgtonight Actually, since gratiafide wants to "stay as up-to-date as possible", I would advise especially to chose the master branch. It contains security patches, bugfixes and features that will probably never be backported to the 2.1 branch. Same goes for the 2.2 branch which will stay behind master in terms of features.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Since you do not have the option to do that automatically, you must install the most recent version manually. So you must
    a) need to know when a new release is available and
    b) need to know what to do

I would suggest you use this feed to be informed about a) and read the discussion that are linked in the feed for b)

@mtschirs said:
    It contains security patches, bugfixes and features that will probably never be backported to the 2.1 branch.

The Vanilla team would never knowingly leave a security hole in the current release of the OS version. Suggesting users use the master branch in production is a bad practice.

@gratiafide stick to the release branches for production; master is for testing and development.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @hgtonight @mtschirs I appreciate all the advice.

• It looks like there are several release versions on github.

I am guessing I want either:

release/2.1
    release/2.2

Could you let me know if I should clone one of these (probably 2.2, since it's both a release version and a higher #?) or if I should clone from a different branch?

@gratiafide said:
    It looks like there are several release versions on github.

I am guessing I want either:

release/2.1
    release/2.2

Could you let me know if I should clone one of these (probably 2.2, since it's both a release version and a higher #?) or if I should clone from a different branch?

If you are looking for the latest stable release, use release/2.1.

If you would like to participate in the beta, providing feedback, please download the 2.2b1 release here: http://vanillaforums.org/addon/vanilla-core-2.2b1

Search first

• gratiafide said: I am guessing I want either:

release/2.1
    release/2.2

see comment here regarding your similar question on which version to use.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/233945/#Comment_233945

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.