Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Sending Email Notification to all members when discussion posted

I have been looking to figure out how to enable the following functionality:
I have a forum using no categories - it is a small forum. What I want is for each time a discussion gets posted, that all members of the community get notified. I am new here and find the information about features and plugins here to be super out-dated. I installed the plugin EmailSubscribe but it did not work. I am running Vanilla Version 2.1.11. I would appreciate any help given!!

Cheers,
Ben

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2015

click advanced notifications in dashboard for your role.

then go to the profile for the role and choose edit profile
    then choose notification preferences

and then post a screenshot.

you probably have a general category despite the fact you have chosen no categories.

click the boxes for the notifications for the category.

then click advanced notifications for the other roles you want to have category notifications. then tell each user as they register to select the boxes they want.

simple enough.

if that doesn't work you may need to change to use categories and have one category.

what happens after you do exactly the above.

post screenshots of permissions in dashboard for roles and for notification preferences if this doesn't work.

• without screenshots - I personally can't offer much help.

Advanced notifications should theoretically work. not many people use it because in previous versions of vanilla it created problems and if you have lots of users it will create problems.

if advanced notifications with notification preferences checked by each user doesn't send out email with one category - there is a bug - and then you should report it on github.

http://vanillaforums.org/search?adv=1&search=advanced+notifications&title=&author=peregrine&cat=all&tags=&discussion_d=1&discussion_question=1&comment_c=1&comment_answer=1&within=1+day&date=

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@sonicpunk

Welcome to the community.

This can be managed via Notification Preferences.

If you activated Advanced Notifications for Members (Dashboard - Roles and Permissions) and created a single category, you could then get users to set preferences for notification by email when discussions are created

You could then set that notification preference in conf.php so that was the default option for new members.

eg.JPG 21.3K
  • peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2015

whu6060 said: You could then set that notification preference in conf.php so that was the default option for new members.

perhaps it works differently with single categories. with multiple categories the notification preferences for category discussion email are not in config.php, but in the user meta table.
    various other email notification preferences are in config.php but I believe in 2.1.11this is not the case for category notification.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Cheers, @peregrine

Was hunting in the default config trying to find it - but, of course, it's not there...

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2015

the thing I am not sure about is if advanced notifications work period, if the proper boxes are checked.

automating is completely different question.

so is "No Category" i.e. Don't Use Categories, a different question.

• and in this case if no categories use is selected by user in managecategories, I was wondering if a general category shows up anyway in then notification preferences.
    • That is why I asked user to post screen shots.

then if it did he could select the notification preferences for each user.

but there is no automated way to do it without scripting changes to user meta tables

and the same question is asked over and over and over. and the answer is still the same. the user needs to select notification preferences or the admin does in 2.1.11 to check the box for category discussion email

unless someone write a plugin that changes the above conditions.

• sonicpunksonicpunk New
    edited October 2015

Hello Everyone... the trick was, as written above, to enable the advanced notifications for the necessary role. I am new to Vanilla and still do not understand all of the configuration possibilities.

A plugin that automatically changes that settings to any given role would be awesome.

What is great about Vanilla is jsconnect. I have a project using the MODX CMF and was able to integrate easily the user db table of MODX with Vanilla.

Very nice!

Cheers!

• sonicpunksonicpunk New
    edited October 2015

Another question would be how can I change the text of the email that gets sent out? Thanks!

I take it that I have to dig into the localisation definitions?

Any tips on which definitions I need to find?

edited October 2015

See here for a starting point:

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/30862/how-to-edit-system-bounceback-emails

The search facility on here is pretty good...

You can use grep (or Agent Ransack on windows) to search your Vanilla install for key terms.