Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Yet Another Gaming Application: Reactions not showing when clicked.

Site: forums.fatsharkgames.com

[This one is going to be hard to explain, even with screenshots. If you make an account on our forums and try to use the reactions on any post, you're going to see the issue immediately.]

When clicking a YAGA reaction on any post, it looks like nothing is happening. However, if you reload the page, the reaction shows up. It used to be that the reaction showed up immediately, but now it doesn't. I assume that either a plugin or a change to the CSS has prompted this issue, but I can't for the life of me figure out what would affect that. I'm not a developer, so I would very much appreciate the help.

What steps should I go through in debugging this?

Tagged:

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Sounds like there is a JavaScript bug. Open the console of your browser and see if there are any js errors shown when you click on a reaction.

• edited October 2015

So, I've been looking at it, and there's no related javascript error (I tried disabling the plugin that caused the unrelated error and it changed nothing). I've noticed however that my issue also occurs on Vanillaforums.org, so I must've been mistaken in these appearing immediately:

I was sure that they used to show up immediately when you clicked the reaction! I guess I just need to figure out how Vanilla has the awesome numbers showing up next to the reaction!

Thank you for the help, R_J

• You are correct. I click insightful and after a reload it will show up. I guess we are that used to it that it doesn't bother us that much

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Don't know about YAGA, but the normal behavior at this forum is, that the counter is raised immediately after you clicked a reaction. Though the avatar will only be shown after a refresh.

• @R_J said:
    Don't know about YAGA, but the normal behavior at this forum is, that the counter is raised immediately after you clicked a reaction. Though the avatar will only be shown after a refresh.

Does anyone know if this is an additional plugin they've used or a custom hack that Vanilla's done for their own forums? At the moment, I have no feedback when you click the reactions and I'd like to add something.

This forum is using a plugin that is called "Reactions" which is not available in the OS version. You are using Yaga, which is a copy of this feature set made by hgtonight. That's why there are differences.

So you would have to suggest this to @hgtonight

• That explains it! Thank you R_J!

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@omfgblondie Thanks for trying my addon!

The action record and the action list should both be updating on click. Would you mind opening you network monitor panel and make sure the click is returning something?

In Firefox:

1. Ctrl + Shift + Q
    2. Click on a reaction
    3. Click on the POST request (e.g. http://forums.example.com/react/discussion/149/1)
    4. Click on the Response tab and make sure it is JSON

Other browsers have similar tools.

Post the entire response back if possible.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @hgtonight said:
    1. Ctrl + Shift + Q

Firstly, off topic: I just learned that Ctrl + Shift + Q in Chrome closes all tabs. Quite the surprise :pleased:

Here's the response I get:

The data is
    <span class="ReactMenu"><a href="/react/comment/6987/2" class="Hijack ReactButton" title="Insightful"><span class="ReactSprite React-2 ReactEye2">&nbsp;</span><span class="Count">1</span><span class="ReactLabel">Insightful</span></a><a href="/react/comment/6987/3" class="Hijack ReactButton" title="Awesome"><span class="ReactSprite React-3 ReactThumbsUp">&nbsp;</span><span class="ReactLabel">Awesome</span></a><a href="/react/comment/6987/4" class="Hijack ReactButton" title="LOL"><span class="ReactSprite React-4 ReactWink">&nbsp;</span><span class="ReactLabel">LOL</span></a></span>

Thank you for your response!

What version of Yaga are you running? It looks like a version that doesn't update the avatars, but does the counters.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• edited October 2015

Version 1.0.3. I think this has worked before, which is why I was making this thread in the first place. At some point it stopped working, and I assume this was due to CSS changes or plugin additions.

EDIT: I just checked on another theme and it displays the counter correctly, although it doesn't update the avatars either. If you could help me figure out what change I could've made to break this, I'd be very thankful!

This reaction record being updated instantly started at this commit: https://github.com/hgtonight/Application-Yaga/commit/257f33a3d3beb3426c0365a0e8d24cf00afd8028

This is only for the development version.

Search first

• @hgtonight said:
    This reaction record being updated instantly started at this commit: https://github.com/hgtonight/Application-Yaga/commit/257f33a3d3beb3426c0365a0e8d24cf00afd8028

This is only for the development version.

Alright, thanks! I've been getting the Application from the vanilla site directly. I'll look at updating to the newest version on github.