Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How do I get Markdown buttons like this forum has?

Hi,

I was having problems with the old button bar (everything just showed the bold symbol) so I've disabled that, and installed the Bootstrap Markdown plugin - http://vanillaforums.org/addon/bootstrapmarkdown-plugin

I've also changed config.php to us Markdown instead of Html:

$Configuration['Garden']['InputFormatter'] = 'Markdown';

Any ideas how to get a working Markdown button bar now please? The one this forum has for example is perfect... thank you!

Comments

• This is odd... for some reason (maybe it was a caching issue) I'm getting a button bar now, but it looks like this:

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2015

I waII was having problems with the old button bar (everything just showed the bold symbol)

this indicates a js error. check for js errors in console.

you could try the Advanced Editor as well

you could test with default theme first to get things squared away and then determine if your problem is a result of any non-default theme.

you might need to adjust css if something is hidden.

no idea regarding Bootstrap Markdown plugin don't use it.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• blizeHblizeH ✭✭
    edited November 2015

Thank you peregrine! It was a javascript error afterall, with the thankful people extension which has now been resolved :)http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/31187/ajax-no-longer-working?new=1

I really like the buttons here though, I've searched for Advanced Editor and can't see it listed under plugins unfortunately - any idea how I download it or enable it please? Thanks :)

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
    edited November 2015

@blizeH said:

I really like the buttons here though, I've searched for Advanced Editor and can't see it listed under plugins unfortunately - any idea how I download it or enable it please? Thanks :)

It comes bundled in the Vanilla 2.2 core download. It should be listed in your plugin dashboard as Advanced Editor.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2015

you posted your question under vanilla 2.2

so it should be in the core of 2.2 in the dashboard.

it is a bit confusing because the folder name is quite different then the plugin name

the folder name is editor. which can lead to confusion - which may be what has confused you.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/235594/#Comment_235594

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• That is awesome! Thank you so much. I love these gifs too... very useful, thank you both :)