Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Being forced to use ReCaptcha with 2.2 registration Approval

whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

I just realised that new users are unable to register, as I do not have ReCaptcha keys.

When they complete the registration process, they are redirected to

http://whu606.com/entry/register

which states:

To use reCAPTCHA you must get an API key from https://www.google.com/recaptcha/admin

I don't want ReCaptcha keys, but I want registration to be 'Approval'.

I'm using RegistrationApproval question plugin, which I don't think should make any difference.

In the Dashboard, whether you click on Basic or Approval, you get the same message:

The basic registration form requires that new users copy text from a "Captcha" image to help prevent spam.

Is there a way around this?

Thanks.

Comments

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

Am I the only one that finds this odd?

I can't help thinking I'm missing something obvious.

It doesn't seem the Vanilla way to force users to use something external.

• kopnakopna Coimbra Portugal ☯

I think you need to register in $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['Method'] = ' Captcha ';
    $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['Method'] = ' Basic'; , but I still had not tried to apply this method :)

@kopna

Thanks for looking.

I have $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['Method'] = ' Approval'

so it should, afaIk, not be showing the reCaptcha, only it is...

• noncenonce Necro-on Forensics
    edited February 2016

Dear Baffled user,

Am I the only one that finds this odd?

either it was overlooked, or a ham-handed approach to forcing security,

I can't help thinking I'm missing something obvious.

you are not missing anything, it is a clumsy approach to force this upon users.

It doesn't seem the Vanilla way to force users to use something external.

many things are external, google fonts in themes, vanilla icons, jquery.

I used google and found these. generally google is a better search method. maybe it will help you. Apparently someone found the issue and someone provided a solution.
    searched combining force 2.2 captcha approval

https://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/233916/#Comment_233916

https://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/235402/#Comment_235402

the nonce.

@nonce

Welcome to the community, and thanks for the find.

(As a Londoner, I do find your user name a bit odd...)

• @whu606

Yes in the IT world nonce is a number used one. Unfortunately they overlooked the British slang for pedo.

grep is your friend.

• Hello,
    I’m having the same issue using ver. 2.2 and it’s preventing me from going live with my private forum. I do NOT want Captcha to interfere with any registrations. I studied the vanillaforums references above, and would like to implement the suggestion:

====================
    Add the following lines to /conf/bootstrap.before.php

1. if (!function_exists('validateCaptcha')) {
    2. function validateCaptcha() {
    3. return true;
    4. }
    5. }

But this will bypass every captcha used in Vanilla - although by default, this is only the register screen.
    You certainly should add the following to your css (or use the CSSEdit plugin to add it):

1. .CaptchaInput {
    2. display: none;
    3. }

===================

However, I searched the entire mydomain/vanilla directory and cannot even find the /conf/bootstrap.before.php and don’t know where to find the css referred to.

I'm a newbie at this so any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

You have to create that file if it does not exist. You have a folder called /conf with files like config.php and config-default.php in it. This is the folder where you have to put the following lines in a new file called bootstrap.before.php

<?php
    if (!function_exists('validateCaptcha')) {
        function validateCaptcha() {
            return true;
        }
    }

Whenever you read about changing CSS, you have two options: a) create a new theme or b) do the changes in the dashboard with the help of the CSSEdit plugin.
    Since you only want to make minor CSS changes, I would strongly recommend you download the CSSEdit plugin, activate it and look in the dashboard for the link to edit CSS. There you can insert CSS rules.

• THANK YOU, thank you, thank you!!! It works now =)

Just one moe thing: Can I remove the statement: "Security Check
    To use reCAPTCHA you must get an API key from https://www.google.com/recaptcha/admin"
    from the bottom of the registration screen? Thanks again!

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@LuxVera said:
    THANK YOU, thank you, thank you!!! It works now =)

Just one moe thing: Can I remove the statement: "Security Check
    To use reCAPTCHA you must get an API key from https://www.google.com/recaptcha/admin"
    from the bottom of the registration screen? Thanks again!

Have you tried the css rule?

• My goof-up! I couldn't get CSSedit to enable, and discovered that I'm not on Vanilla 2.2, so will now try to upgrade without bungling it, and then see if I can get CSSedit to work. Thank you so much for your help!

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

PS we'd love a better solution than forcing anything, but we needed reCAPTCHA to protect Applicant method, and there's no way to do that currently without requiring it.

• noncenonce Necro-on Forensics
    edited March 2016

Can't a simple two line code switch be added into the function, that provides an option to skip the code, if the requirement is not needed. With or without an option in dashboard. But, maybe that would be too complicated to code. With an option in the dashboard it wouldn't be forced.

It seems you already have hundreds of configuration statements, you could think about adding one here for next version of vanilla. At the same time you could clean up the configuration statements that are no longer used by vanilla core or any plugin from the config.defaults.php. Addin one config statement and deleting the two picture configs in config.defaults.php would give you a net loss of one config statement which is incrementally better in terms of usability, ease of change, and cleanup.

I don't have the simple 2-3 line logical php code, but I have presented human logic that will solve the user issues.