Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

How come the reaction bar is closed source?

I do not get it.

Why is the default reaction bar hidden behind Vanilla's hosting services?

The LOL's, WTF's, and Heart buttons should be open source too. I do not like dealing with YAGA's stupid gamification of the reaction bar. Though I tried implementing a custom reaction in YAGA, it just does not feel right that we do not get offered to use it for free.

Can a Vanilla representative elaborate on why reactions have to be paid for? I do not feel like paying $199 a month for them.

Comments

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

The Open source vanilla / aka free version, has plugins you can add which provide these...

If you have questions on the paid version, please post them on the vanillaforums.com forum.

We only deal with the open source free version here...

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Nothing in life is free... but if you try sometimes, you get what you need...

• Options

@doormat_man said:
    I do not get it.

Why is the default reaction bar hidden behind Vanilla's hosting services?

The LOL's, WTF's, and Heart buttons should be open source too. I do not like dealing with YAGA's stupid gamification of the reaction bar. Though I tried implementing a custom reaction in YAGA, it just does not feel right that we do not get offered to use it for free.

Can a Vanilla representative elaborate on why reactions have to be paid for? I do not feel like paying $199 a month for them.

Gamification is not stupid: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamification

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

it just does not feel right that we do not get offered to use it for free.

That's a result of your misplaced sense of entitlement, rather than a fault in Vanilla's model.

• Options
    phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    edited February 2016

@doormat_man: Watch your thoughts and words man. ;)

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited February 2016

It isn't close source software you buy and put on your server, it is a service.

Licensing refers to the distributed software. Vanillaforums.org not distributed, therefore license is irrelevant. There is no requirement for you to distribute your custom modifications on your site either, such as your branding.

There are many misconceptions regarding OS the biggest of which is it is meant to be free of cost and self funding.

What have you contributed to opens source software? If nothing you are a free loader.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    subdreamersubdreamer San Jose, CA

I think the OP is a bit self-entitled... o:)

• Options

Or, you could donate to @hgtonight to help him update his YAGA to 2.2 compatible and just turn off the "gamification" aspect of it.

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@doormat_man said:
    I do not like dealing with YAGA's stupid gamification of the reaction bar. Though I tried implementing a custom reaction in YAGA, it just does not feel right that we do not get offered to use it for free.

Thanks for trying my addon!

I am not sure what gamification part you don't like, since reactions are specifically a form of gamification. Yaga can be (and has been) configured to offer just reactions. Check out the settings available in the dashboard to disable ranks, badges, and the leaderboard.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.