Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

MySQL Suddenly stopped working

xm1xm1 New
edited February 2016 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Everything was fine few hours ago when I last visited my site.
Now when I opened the site I was greeted with a 'something has gone wrong' message. What!!!!
I quickly checked my error log but I didn't find anything.
Eager to bring my forum back up, I had no choice but to do $Configuration['Debug'] = true; in a LIVE FORUM.

And the errors says:
SQLSTATE[HY000] [2002] Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (111) bla bla ...

Long story short. I restarted MySQL and every seems fine again.

Now, What am after is what might have caused MySQL to stop working.

I know this may not be a vanilla issue but please, if you have any Idea please let me know. So I can prevent this from happening again.

I don't even know how long my forum was down...

Comments

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

My first guess is that it ran out of available connections. Either your settings for max connections are too low, or something happened that made the connections stay open forever and get consumed.

It's also possible your server restarted but MySQL didn't restart with it. Or MySQL crashed (tho I highly doubt that).

• Options

I've checked the max connections setting and it seems to the problem. it was set to 151 which is the default. Thanks @Linc