Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla 2.2 : Backup Solution

Hi All,

I open that discussion for journaliere backup solution.

I want to save the database once a day and if possible automatically

Thank you for your information.

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Depending on your host and hosting service, you can schedule automatic backups in the mysql settings.

• TofTof
    edited February 2016

There's no existing plugin?

Under wordpress, there is draftplus. https://fr.wordpress.org/plugins/updraftplus/

Too bad. Manage this part since the backoffice of vanilla 2.2 would be interesting

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    edited February 2016

@Tof: Things like that are better, saver and faster via your Host usually. My one backups 3 times a day and saves it to a folder.

I understand your need, but there is no plugin backup solution at the moment like u know it from Wordpress.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • This is unfortunate because this is the point to missing VANILLA.

VANILLA is a very good job and promising for a good future. I think it is urgent to produce a backup plugin that VANILLA know a great success

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@Tof

Il ne est pas urgent, sauf pour vous.

Vanilla a existé pendant une longue période, avec beaucoup de succès, sans ce plugin.

• @whu606

Not waste time on this kind of response ...

To evolve, we must accept the congratulations and criticisms too. Otherwise, what's the point of letting people express themselves.

In short, a message for nothing ... If you want a maximum of VANILLA user, abstain from that kind of talk!

And I'm not criticizing the work. Work that is monstrous!

It is not all developers ... I am a simple user ... With my stress and my requests ...

I remain convinced like many novice that this plugin would be welcome

edited February 2016

@Tof

I will not be posting on any of your further threads, saving us both from wasting our time.

• @whu606

What childishness ...

Going to phpbb, you will find many people that suits you ...

Je m'en fous ce que vous pensez.

• noncenonce Necro-on Forensics

Mon ami tof.

I don't speak french so please excuse me for writing in english. I don't understand many of these comments because I only speak fluent English. I also don't want to get in the middle of a spitting match.

From my little knowledge of backup solutions and looking over the forum and doing google searches. I see a few problems and potential solutions.

Wordpress is much more mature than vanilla, and has many more users. This can be debated, I don't care to.
    The number of people writing themes and plugins for vanilla is orders of magnitude less than Wordpress.
    The number of people answering questions on this forum seems to be 5-10 different people each year. It seems burn out is high and the number of support people is slim, but the volunteer support people seem to be willing to help. This too, can be debated among yourselves. I don't care to. Criticism of vanilla even if constructive is not taken lightly, nor is it welcomed as well as it could be. There seems to be alot of damaged egos if there is criticism, this is human nature, the fight or flight response to perceived danger (in terms of criticism). Some of the criticism is unfair. But fair criticism may be treated with disdain, if you cannot provide the code to fix things. This too may seem unreasonable for a novice, who might have an opinion, but not have the capacity to get the job done.

vanilla open-source is still in its infancy. it appears to have better code each year. Last year alone many serious security flaws have been fixed. Prior to this year it appeared easy to break into vanilla with the right know how.
    Backup procedures within vanilla would be a no-go as far as some people might be concerned. If a plugin or a theme can break vanilla and render it useless, the same could be held true of a "backup plugin" built within vanilla.

It is my humble belief that a backup plugin is not the best most optimal way to go for vanilla. A software application should not depend on itself to back itself up.

There are numerous solutions to accomplish what you need (automated backups).

this can be done via scripts that are isolated from vanilla and not dependent on whether vanilla is "broken" from a plugin or theme.

http://www.noupe.com/development/10-ways-to-automatically-manually-backup-mysql-database.html
    http://www.matt-helps.com/automatic-backup-of-mysql-database-to-s3/

I don't know, but I guess you could even contact the makers of https://fr.wordpress.org/plugins/updraftplus/ and ask them how much it would cost you for them to develop a plugin for you to use with vanilla. My opinion is that it is not worth your money to pay them to do it, because a standalone backup would be better either by your host, or by yourself is you are in control of your server.

Once again please excuse my inability to speak french.

@nonce

I have to disagree with your reference to burnout re: support, or to criticism of Vanilla being unwelcome on this forum.

Your reference to damaged egos just seems bizarre; pretty much no one who supports on here has any input into the Vanilla code, so how could we possibly be 'endangered' by criticism of it?

You've been here 5 minutes, I've been here 5 years, so I dare to say I am more aware of how things go on here than you are.

I got ticked off by Tof's response to me, which ignored the content whilst having what I felt to be 'a pop', as we say down my way.

That's going to happen sometimes.

I said, very briefly, what you said at greater length.

Whilst ideally desirable, it is not always possible to restrain oneself from responding when people come on here and pontificate on how it is or should be.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@whu606 said:
    @nonce
    You've been here 5 minutes, I've been here 5 years, so I dare to say I am more aware of how things go on here than you are.

But I'm convinced it makes you (well: us...) some kind of blind on the impression that new users have from this forum.

So besides from most probably not being able to judge what our motivations for our behavior is, or maybe even misjudging it, I think it is always wealthy to get such a feedback.

And to be true: even to me your reaction on that last comment sounds more aggressive that it needs to be ;)

Funny @nonce you have been here two days and have come up with that conclusion ? That is silly. There are people who will certainly disagree. Those people who needed help and got it and are very grateful . The numbers do not lie.

You need to become a volunteer here and an expert in vanilla and then your opinion might matter more..

This OP posted a question about backing up and now it has become the sounding board that has nothing to do with the OP...

"Vanilla Lives Matter"

• TofTof
    edited February 2016

@whu606

First, I want to clarify that I do not speak English. I use google translation...

Sachez que je comprends votre investissement de 5 ans sur ce forum. Je suis moi-meme depuis 5 ans sur un forum est je connais le travail que cela procure.

Donc, je vous soutiens et vous remercie pour cela de toute ce que vous avez fait.

For all :

je crois personnellement en Vanilla 2, qui va passer d'ici un an devant phpbb. Trés bien pensé, bien organisé et d'une simplicité pour le mettre en place.

Je me porte donc partenaire pour diffuser VANILLA 2 au maximum. N'hésitez surtout pas aussi à mettre en avant mon site pour prouver que cela fonctionne bien.

Thank

• K17K17 Français / French Paris, France ✭✭✭
    edited February 2016

I don't understand what's happening on this discussion, but it seems to be explosive ! :bleep_bloop::anguished:

EDIT: After some talk with @Tof, he just want to say that's can be better for Vanilla to have a backup system. He's a owner of a very old and huge forum using phpBB now (Vanilla is coming soon :+1:), and he know how to do backups himself. He spoke for newbies who can find heavy to backup an entire forum.
    He use Google translate to litteraly translate french sentences, and everyone knows what Google translator is. So, he don't want to hurt some of you.
    Please correct me for english errors.
    Have a Nice day, Kisses from France, and smoke rainbows before post.

And that is why I am helping Tof, because his forum is serious and not just a hobby or testing.... When someone asks for help and they are just playing around with the software but have no users and no content, I don't find it worth my time to help because they are not serious about running a forum, they just wanted to try it out etc. They might start a forum and then abandon it.

It is important for Vanilla open to get people with real forums to use the software because they are the ones who will likely discover bugs or problems that could help improve the code in many ways.
    People or kids who are just looking to play around with this software are not helpful in my opinion.

It is important for Vanilla open to increase the open source real and large community forum users and the best way is to recognize who they are and then help them to achieve what they need in order for other large communities to do the same. If that means having to help 3 dozen questions they might have in a row, then it is small price to pay for the iteration of this construct.

It is nice if kids come here and want to learn code, however that does not help the bigger picture of improving the code. For that, testers in real communities are needed, no matter if they are chinese or french or anyone. And if they all came in here with such a well prepared question and they do their best to help themselves and also share what they learned on their own as well as discover bugs as Tof, then that is the kind of person we all need to help as best as we can...

edited February 2016

@Tof

Merci pour cela, et je me excuse de ma réponse grossière.

@RJ

I agree with your points, but don't really feel they apply in this instance (apart from the bit about my reaction being over-aggressive since, of course, it was. )

• Using a a web application to do server management is the tail wagging the dog.

Just becuase some framworks do doesn't mean it it should be copied.

Vanilla is called Vanilla for a reason. It is not called Tuti Fruti.

Vanilla is extensible, you can develop it yourself.

grep is your friend.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited February 2016

I'd agree with @x00's sober assessment. Backups are a server-level task, not an application-level task. Yes, WordPress has a plugin for it - but they built an entire third-party service to do it because they have hundreds of developers and it took them, what, two decades to get to it? It's apples & oranges.

Even for the cloud product, we do not use a plugin. We use nightly server tasks to manually backup each database across our many clusters.

If you do not have the expertise to set up this sort of situation, you should choose a hosting provider that provides some sort of backup service, whether that be full-disk or simply MySQL databases. Or, you can hook up a third party service for MySQL backups. These are all great options. But remember, anything that "backs up" to the same server as your forum is no backup at all.

A "plugin" solution would be a massive expenditure of time and energy that I do not see anyone taking that on. We're just not big enough to warrant it.

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

Based on my experience managing mixed systems (WordPress, Vanilla, Magento and several others), I came to the conclusion that a plugin is not the ideal solution for backups.

I found that it's better to rely on an independent system, which can take a point-in-time snapshot of a web application without having to the rely on the site itself. Such system could be anything from a top class backup solution at a server level, or even a simple script, like the one I use on most websites. This usually results in faster backups (no need to load the whole application to create a ZIP file), and errors that may occur don't impact on the application itself (if the backup fails, it's just a matter of troubleshooting the backup, the application is unaffected).

For reference, the backup script I use is a Ruby gem called Backup. It was a bit messy to install because some of the servers run an old version of Ruby and were missing some libraries, but I simply had to pre-install it on a development server and copy it over to make it work. I have practically zero knowledge of Ruby, therefore I can say that it's a fairly accessible solution.