Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to set up APC and Memcached caches for Vanilla?

I have installed memcached on my VPS and set these lines in config.php

// Cache
$Configuration['Cache']['Enabled'] = true;
$Configuration['Cache']['Method'] = 'memcached';

// memcached
$Configuration['memcached']['Store'] = 'localhost';

1# Question: Am i allowed to use APC cache together with Memcached and cloudflare (DNS)?
2# Question: Do i have to add something in config file to activate APC cache for vanilla?

Comments

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@MarcusMaximus

I have Memcached running with CloudFlare, and there have been no issues I know of.

I was looking up about APC after seeing your post, but noticed that support for that seems to end with php5.4, and that the recommendation is to go with OPcache instead.

I have no real knowledge as to whether this is correct (beyond reading on the InterWebby).

• @whu606 you are right. I was few minutes ago advised also to go for Opcache because APC is no longer updated.

Will activating Opcache affect both my wordpress and vanilla forums installation or i can make it just affect vanilla forum? (in a way that we have to enable it in confing or something)

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

You can configure blacklists for opcache, so that creating a file and putting /var/www/wordpress_folder/* would exclude your wordpress.
    You have to add some settings to your php.ini: opcache.blacklist_filename=/etc/php5/opcache-blacklist.txt

Also make sure that you have zend_extension=opcache.so in some config file. In order to check if opcache is up and running, look at the output of phpinfo()

In order to check if memcached is working, take a look at phpMemcachedAdmin by Cyrille Mahieux

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

Sorry, I only have Vanilla, so couldn't say.

In nginx the change to enable it is made in php - fpm - php.ini file, so I guess it would depend if you had separate instances of this for Wordpress and Vanilla, but I'm only guessing.

I'm sure someone else will know definitively.

I enabled OPcache and it is running without having to set a Vanilla configuration.

Seems to have speeded up my site, so thanks for the OP, which made me look it up.

• Thank you a lot guys and @whu606 glad the topic helped you too! :)

I will enable Opcache and will let you all know if something went wrong!

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

I wrote some quick-and-dirty backend docs after reading this discussion: https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla-docs/blob/master/docs/developers/backend.html.md