Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Looking for freelancer to develop/update vanilla addon.

I'm looking for a steam integration addon. I've tried all the existing public ones but they're heavily outdated and won't work with 2.2

I'm looking for someone to develop such an extension or even update an existing one. i don't mind the extension being made public on these forums after that, I think every CMS should really have a free and public integration addon with such a popular and widespread site like steam.

The only requirement I can remember right now is that it must work flawlessly with the vanilla wordpress bridge since wordpress is the main basis of the site Im working on.

PM me for further discussion or post here, as you prefer

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Does this one work?

https://github.com/hgtonight/Plugin-SteamSignIn

I wrote that back in 2013, but I kinda stopped supporting it when my community didn't care for it.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @hgtonight said:
    Does this one work?

https://github.com/hgtonight/Plugin-SteamSignIn

I wrote that back in 2013, but I kinda stopped supporting it when my community didn't care for it.

Yeah, I tried it and it doesn't seem to be working.

Still looking for someone to do it! :)

• This one worked at least to add the connect with steam option but the registration is not done properly, data is not parsed and it still asks for email and username despite me having done the fix

In short, Still looking.

Thanks for trying this out.

I should be able to check it out next week.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited April 2016

@Spacing, the official SteamConnect plugin I linked to on GitHub works for me. I just tested SteamConnect out on a Vanilla 2.2 forum with same version as that's in the GitHub repo, v1.0.0. The Vanilla Forum has OpenID registration and the Steam Web API Key properly set up.

Clicking the Steam icon brings the guest to the Steam login page where the user will verify that they want to connect their Steam account to the Vanilla Forum. After doing so, the guest is prompted to enter in an email address and username on the Vanilla Forum. After submitting this info, the user account was created successfully on the website and I am able to sign-in via the Steam icon. SteamConnect works without a problem.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• @Shadowdare said:
    @Spacing, the official SteamConnect plugin I linked to on GitHub works for me. I just tested SteamConnect out on a Vanilla 2.2 forum with same version as that's in the GitHub repo, v1.0.0. The Vanilla Forum has OpenID registration and the Steam Web API Key properly set up.

Clicking the Steam icon brings the guest to the Steam login page where the user will verify that they want to connect their Steam account to the Vanilla Forum. After doing so, the guest is prompted to enter in an email address and username on the Vanilla Forum. After submitting this info, the user account was created successfully on the website and I am able to sign-in via the Steam icon. SteamConnect works without a problem.

I had everything setup properly how you described. But after entering an email address and username it gave me an error like this

Also I would like to bypass the email / username all together when registering and entirely removing open ID or normal registering options and allow registering through steam id only

2.png 8.7K
  • A little bump, Still looking for help or willing freelancers to do this. I have a huge community project ready for launch depending on this little thing.

• TimP4wTimP4w New
    edited April 2016

Hi @Spacing , I had a look at it and it is working for me, so I rapidly checked the code and discovered that the issue may be caused by the OpenID plugin. I checked that on google and I found this: https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/issues/907

Try with upgrading your OpenID plugin :)

• @TimP4w said:
    Hi @Spacing , I had a look at it and it is working for me, so I rapidly checked the code and discovered that the issue may be caused by the OpenID plugin. I checked that on google and I found this: https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/issues/907

Try with upgrading your OpenID plugin :)

I've upgraded and it still happens. Well now at least the login goes through at first and it displays this non embedded forum page (with the correct steam avatar and username), but it still asks for a username and email (which I dont want it to happen, I want it to create the user directly with the steam id) like so

but after it's redirected to a embeded forum page with the same error same page as above like so:

I would appreciate some help, Im willing to pay to get this properly implemented, I've been having issues with it for the past 2 months, if I cant find someone to help me out Ill be forced to chose another forum system which I really dont want as vanilla seems the perfect fit for my wordpress site.

4.png 15.8K
    5.png 12.2K
  • SpacingSpacing New
    edited May 2016

Any help for the issue Im having?

• subdreamersubdreamer San Jose, CA

Have you tried using the default theme instead of the Nexus one? I'm sure @hgtonight would appreciate a donation to look into this. :) #justSaiyan

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@Spacing said:
    I've upgraded and it still happens. Well now at least the login goes through at first and it displays this non embedded forum page (with the correct steam avatar and username), but it still asks for a username and email (which I dont want it to happen, I want it to create the user directly with the steam id) like so

With the current OpenID plugin and the current SteamConnect plugin from GitHub, everything works fine. The expected behavior is, that the user is prompted for a username and a mail address.

The reason why the profile cannot be created without user interaction is, that a mail address is required for a valid Vanilla plugin. When authentication is done, the plugin has access to a public profile, which of course does not include the mail address. That's why it wouldn't easily be possible to create a plugin that skips that step. Such a plugin would have to make sure that each and every function in Vanilla that uses a mail address would be handled correctly and wouldn't fail with a fatal error.

Since entering the mail is a one time process, I couldn't imagine that it would be a show stopper.

But I agree that I would expect the user name to be prefilled. I try having a look at that...

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@R_J said:
    But I agree that I would expect the user name to be prefilled. I try having a look at that...

Okay, problem solved. There is a small bug that was causing the user name to not be filled. I've filed a pull request and the fix might be enclosed in the next version. You could easily change it if you like so that it works right now for you: https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/pull/3849

• SpacingSpacing New
    edited May 2016

I've tried everything. The steam plugin seems to be working now but the image is not displaying properly and also I can only login/signup through the "Comment as..." button on wwordpress. The full embedded version either displays a blank page or a 404 page when using the register/signin link.

Can someone more experienced walk me through this or help me solve this directly? I would be willing to pay for steam login to be working properly with wordpress embed.

1.png 13.6K
  • Cant seem to be able to edit my post so Ill just update. I was able to fix the register page bugging out and displaying a 404 error or blank page, had to reinstall vanilla from scratch, But Im still having trouble displaying the steam login icon. Appreciate if anyone can help me with that.

Ideally I would want to hide the register button and only have the sign in form with the Steam login icon only and nothing else. To allow signups through steam only

Have you set your registration method to Connect?

That should remove the sign in form from the entry module.

Search first

• @hgtonight said:
    Have you set your registration method to Connect?

That should remove the sign in form from the entry module.

It doesn't. All it does apparently is removing the sign up page and since the theme I have (Nexus which I bought) has a register button, it will just create a 404 page on that link which is not ideal.

What about the steam login image issue, any tip?