Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Problem migrating from VBulletin 3.8

Hi there,

I am going through the process of migrating a forum with some 80k posts and 60k users (vanilla2export.php) and I can get the data in fine but none of the avatars, attachments etc are showing up. When I look into the filesystem it looks like they are there but are not showing in the front end.

For example, if i go through the folder structure its something like this /forum/uploads/attachments/1/7/1/5/6/365.thumb

Which looks like an image when I preview it, but these aren't correlating with their posts on the front end.

Any ideas?

Also, just a quick question as a newbie, when I load the "users" screen in the admin is it supposed to show users there straight up without searching because my page is blank, however when i enter a search query users show up.

Thanks, any help is much appreciated. I am sure it's a simple one :)

Answers

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited May 2016

Hi @dgtl

Welcome to the community.

User avatars are stored in Vanilla in the folder

uploads/userpics

and are referenced in the table: Gdn_User column: Photo

You may have to do a bit of SQL jiggery-pokery to get things matched.

Your user screen should be populated.

Have you tried running:

yourforum.com/index.php?p=/utility/update

• Thanks for the prompt answer, I will give your suggestions a go and let you know.

Cheers

• Another question, I am getting the following error:

select f.filedata, right(a.filename, instr(reverse(a.filename), '.')) as extension, concat('attachments/', f.userid, '/', f.attachmentid, '.', lower(extension)) as Path from forums_attachment f;Unknown column 'a.filename' in 'field list' Error: (1024) Unknown column 'a.filename' in 'field list'

when running the export file:
    vanilla2export.php?avatars=1&files=1filepath=/home/user/subdomains/vanilla/forum/uploads/attachments

Any ideas on that one?

Thanks again

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

Hi

Sorry, that's beyond me, but hopefully someone will be along who knows what is causing that.

• @whu606 said:
    Hi

Sorry, that's beyond me, but hopefully someone will be along who knows what is causing that.

Thanks mate, no worries. Hopefully they do :)

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
    edited May 2016

I haven't used the porter in years, but looking at the code I see this comment:

• 1) Copy entire 'customavatars' folder into Vanilla's /upload folder.
    • 2) Copy entire 'attachments' folder into Vanilla's / upload folder.
    • 3) Make BOTH folders writable by the server.
    • 4) Enable the FileUpload plugin. (Media table must be present.)

Did you do that before exporting?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Hello,
    I and dgtl are migrating the vbulletin to vanilla.
    Heres what we did:
    1. Copied customavatars and attachments to Vanilla's /uploads folder. Folders are CHMOD to 777
    2. Installed and enabled FileUpload Vanilla plugin (Media table is present in db)
    3. Ran vanilla2export.php that was uploaded in the source forum(vbulletin3) directory. Export says success.
    4. Import the file to Vanilla. And success.
    5. Ran Utility update
    6. Reconfigured user roles/permissions

Problems we encounter:

• No users are displaying in the Users page in Dashboard
    • Attachments are not showing in posts
    • Avatars are not showing (avatar URL structure is different from the directory in uploads folder)

Any thoughts?
    Thank you very much!

• Thank you I will take a look.