Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

A good text editor?

I am currently on the look out for a quality text editor that includes:

WYSIWYG
Standard formatting options - (Bold, Italic, underlining, font dropdown, font size dropdown, colour dropdown, alignment, image/ink insertion, etc.)
Copy-paste friendly
Streamlined design (preferably minimal and flat)

Quite frankly, I'm having a difficult time finding one that meets my needs. I actually quite enjoy the Advanced Editor, but unfortunately it lacks quite a few features that are essential to my forum.

For the time being I am using CreativeCLEditor which--much to my disappointment--is very finicky when it comes to copy-pasting, and has a few other quirks I dislike.

If anyone has any leads, I'd greatly appreciate the information.

Comments

• K17K17 Français / French Paris, France ✭✭✭

AdvancedEditor is mobile fredly.
    I didn't know if text editor with all you need is available for Vanilla 2.2 now

• Dr_SommerDr_Sommer Dr. of tender Programing ;) ✭✭

+1 for Advanced Editor :+1:

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

I want to point out the Advance editor has a lot of options under the hood that are disabled by default. Like Color, highlighting, font selection, indenting, and uploads.

You can enable them via a plugin hook.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• edited May 2016

@hgtonight said:
    I want to point out the Advance editor has a lot of options under the hood that are disabled by default. Like Color, highlighting, font selection, indenting, and uploads.

You can enable them via a plugin hook.

Huh, I never even bothered to check... I didn't realize those features were disabled. Thanks for letting me know, though, I appreciate it!

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

@hgtonight: Do you know of any info somewhere how to activate it? Thats something for the Vanilla Wiki or?

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • @phreak

Go into the class.editor.plugin.php file in the plugin's directory (should just be called 'editor'). Then search for " public function getAllowedEditorActions" (without quotes) to find the list of enabled/disabled features.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@sams0knite said:
    @phreak

Go into the class.editor.plugin.php file in the plugin's directory (should just be called 'editor'). Then search for " public function getAllowedEditorActions" (without quotes) to find the list of enabled/disabled features.

@sams0knite you are right in that you can find available options there, but you shouldn't change them there! Create a minimum plugin or a custom theme and add following lines:

public function base_toolbarConfig_handler($sender, $args) {
            $args['actions']['fontfamily'] = true;
        }

• edited May 2016

@R_J

I'm not much of a developer, so excuse my curiosity, but may I please have an explanation as to the reasoning behind that notion? What is the primary motive for creating a separate plugin instead of simply changing the settings?

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited May 2016

@sams0knite

Because any time you upgrade Vanilla, the file will be written over, as it is part of the core, and you will have to make the changes again, whereas custom plugins are not over-written.