Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Google Search Console collects not needed Content Keywords

phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
edited February 2016 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi all,

I recently check my content keywords again in the Google Search Console and saw that my most popular Conntent Keywords are "Facebook" and "Edited". That doesn't really reflect to my content and is a possible weakness spot because there is more, way more important keywords Google should identify my forum with. Sure i think it's not a killer issue (Search Engines are smarter than we think i guess) but Google wouldn't add that service in the Search Console if they would like us to put some effort into it.

So where do they come from?
I activated Social Share some time ago from the "Social" panel in the Vanilla dashboard. It add's a "Share on Facebook"-Button to every comment. The way the implementation is made seems so show Google that "Facebook" is the most common and though probably important word on my website. I recently had a decrease in SERPs also, which i think might be connected to that. I currently deactivated it and will see if this will get any better.

And ...edited?
The same goes for "edited". Quiet a lot discussions and posts get edited on my forums. That's why Google identifies "edited" on as an important part of my content. Same story goes here.

What else?
The same goes for usernamens of those users that post a lot. It's clunking because almost 60% of my content keyword list in the Search Console are usernames. Also for images where "jpg" is added to every post that has an uploaded image through Advanced Editor. And lust but not least "icon" seems to be relevant while it's actually not, which seems to come from the vanilicon URL request from "wd.vanillicon.com" server.

My questions!
How do you handle this or what can we do to signalize Google that those words are not relevant and to concentrate in better words. Currently my list of content keywords is populated with 90% of irrelevant keywords. This sure has an impact on my SERPs and the one of every Vanilla forum. See the screenshot.

With my community i have a relevant testing ground for SEO like this. It's around 130.000 Visitors a month.

Anyone has an opinion on this?

Thanx and nice greetz,
phreak

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
  • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla

Comments

• Options

I do a little bump it's not so trivial. :)

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
  • Options

By removing the sharing option to Facebook for the public guests i was able to get this list more cleaned. Guests also don't seem to share a lot.

I'm still looking for an option to hide the "edited" marker from the source code for guests. For me it's fine if guest don't know what was edited. Is there a way to do this via the config.php?

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

There is no configuration for that. But I'm sure there is a way to edit translations "on the fly" so that a plugin/themehook could simply change thethe translations for guests to be an empty string

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
    public function base_render_before($sender) {
      if(!Gdn::Session()->isValid()) {
        $Definition['Edited %s by %s.'] = '';
        $Definition['Edited %s.'] = '';
        $Definition['edited %s'] = '';
      }
    }

Untested and a bit aggressive (every page load?!?), but should do the trick.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@hgtonight said:
    a bit aggressive (every page load?!?)

Maybe just starting with discussionController is enough? You can "fix" other occurances later on.

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited May 2016

use Gdn::locale()->setTranslation

grep is your friend.