Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

"Sorry, permission denied." when signing in.

SpacingSpacing New
edited May 2016 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I was testing out my site before launching, everything appeared fine until I noticed the "Sorry, permission denied." when signing in, on my test account, which has a member role.

First of all I've checked this link and Garden Sign In allowed, is definitely checked for the member role, I've changed it to unconfirmed and I was able to log in with that user role set as unconfirmed which is very strange since both roles have "Sign In Allowed" checked.

Any help?

Comments

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@Spacing

If it is set to confirm, it suggests the system is waiting for an email response from your test account to activate it.

Try setting up another account, with a valid email address, and see.

• @whu606 said:
    @Spacing

If it is set to confirm, it suggests the system is waiting for an email response from your test account to activate it.

Try setting up another account, with a valid email address, and see.

I have basic registration with no need to confirm email set up. So that shouldn't be a problem. And Ive also marked that account as email verified manually on the dashboard

• Welp, I reinstalled the whole forum from scratch and I still have the same issue!

• So I figured out whats the problem.
    Apparently if I untick the Require users to confirm their email addresses (recommended), I can't login with the account, but if I have it ticked and Register without confirm the email I can login but right after I confirm the email I get the same error on login all together.

This also works by unticking the Email Verified on the dashboard of the respective user

This is a really troublesome issue for me, anyone can help me out with it?

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Please go to role/defaultroles and see what is checked there… take a screen shot.

• @vrijvlinder said:
    Please go to role/defaultroles and see what is checked there… take a screen shot.

No without the dashboard in the url

compf.tf/forums/role/defaultroles

• @vrijvlinder Still nothing

is it supposed to be anything on that page, I've tried adding there a role but all it does is adding another role onto the main /role page.

This is the /role page btw

No it is a screen with the default roles

• o.o Why am I not getting that then?? I just installed vanilla from scratch for the second time.... Last time I also didnt have a default roles page.

Any chance you could take a look through my server real quick?

There is no direct link to this screen for some reason. But you can access it via role/defaultroles at least I can… There should be a setting config with the default roles as well.

• SpacingSpacing New
    edited May 2016

@vrijvlinder said:
    There is no direct link to this screen for some reason. But you can access it via role/defaultroles at least I can… There should be a setting config with the default roles as well.

I have this on the config-defaults.php

$Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['Method']              = 'Captcha'; // Options are: Basic, Captcha, Approval, Invitation
    $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['DefaultRoles']        = array('8'); // The default role(s) to assign new users (4 is "Member")
    $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['ApplicantRoleID']     = 4; // The "Applicant" RoleID.
    $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['InviteExpiration']    = '1 week'; // When invitations expire. This will be plugged into strtotime().
    $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['InviteRoles']         = 'FALSE';
    $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['ConfirmEmail']        = FALSE;
    $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['ConfirmEmailRole']    = 3;
    $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['MinPasswordLength']   = 6;

But on my config.php I only have this referencing registration

$Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['ConfirmEmail'] = false;
    $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['Method'] = 'Captcha';
    $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['CaptchaPrivateKey'] = 'PRIVATEKEYHERE';
    $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['CaptchaPublicKey'] = 'PUBLICKEYHERE';
    $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['InviteExpiration'] = '1 week';
    $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['InviteRoles']['3'] = '0';
    $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['InviteRoles']['4'] = '0';
    $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['InviteRoles']['8'] = '0';
    $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['InviteRoles']['16'] = '0';
    $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['InviteRoles']['32'] = '0';

Its all there is on the configs regarding the Registration

edited May 2016

Yea Notice how Applicant role is the same as Member ? I think that is wrong.

Maybe that is causing you to get the message because it thinks you are an applicant and have not been accepted or confirmed email.

This is where that default roles page comes in handy… It is possible they merged the two.. but if you are going to change a config, copy it to the config.php do not edit the defaults.

edited May 2016

It looks like they removed the entire function to be able to set up default roles from the dashboard in 2.2 .

The files that were changed from 2.1

class.rolecontroller.php in dashboard/controllers and in the dashboard/views/role they removed the defaultroles.php file .

This is why you don't have it.

• @vrijvlinder said:
    It looks like they removed the entire function to be able to set up default roles from the dashboard in 2.2 .

The files that were changed from 2.1

class.rolecontroller.php in dashboard/controllers and in the dashboard/views/role they removed the defaultroles.php file .

So what do I do here? Im using the latest version.

Also according to this post the member ID is 8 so that default role array 8 should be right?

Whats the difference betweenapplicantroleID and DefaultRoles ?

applicant is someone who is waiting for approval to log in. That role appears when you select approval as your registration method. Applicants are supposed to have the same permissions as guests, they can't log in or post until they are approved.

The default roles are the ones vanilla comes with , because you can make new roles.

Applicant

Admin

Their number or Role ID for example if 4 is role ID for member and member is supposed to already be verified or email confirmed then applicant can't have role id 4 because if they do and that role allows posting, you will have a spam fest.

I have to go , but maybe someone can help you set up the roles correctly, or look in the forum or tutorials ..

• SpacingSpacing New
    edited May 2016

I've tried everything. Setting different RoleIDs, changing default roles. Nothing seems to work. The only case where I can login with a user is by having Require users to confirm their email addresses (recommended) checked while not having the email verified, as soon as I verify the email I can't login and get "Sorry, permission denied."

I'm willing to pay for someone to solve this for me, if you can help me out please pm me or something and I will send you server/ftp access, Im pretty sure it should be something pretty straightforward but Ive been battling with vanilla for like 1 month preparing a Huge site launch and I can't afford to lose any more time on this, even on Fiverr I tried paying a guy who supposedly has experience with vanilla and he couldn't figure it out. At this point Im about to say fuck it and unninstall vanilla forever and move onto another platform but I really dont want because vanilla is all I want and need to integrate with my wordpress site, but its been really frustrating to work with.

I'm sorry you are having these kinds of problems. Also I'm sorry no one else better qualified than me has stepped up to help you solve your issues.

Free software is not guaranteed . If you plan on doing serious forum, I suggest you go with the paid version of vanilla and there would have no problems. Or try some other software while the open source version is fixed and works as expected. Although this forum had lots of qualified support, it no longer has and there are only 3 people or so that come around and are more qualified than I am capable of figuring out problems.

Sorry for that

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@vrijvlinder said:
    I'm sorry you are having these kinds of problems. Also I'm sorry no one else better qualified than me has stepped up to help you solve your issues.

Free software is not guaranteed . If you plan on doing serious forum, I suggest you go with the paid version of vanilla and there would have no problems. Or try some other software while the open source version is fixed and works as expected.

This is a configuration error, not a software error. Just because you cannot solve a problem doesn't mean that no one should use Vanilla and it certainly doesn't mean Vanilla is not usable at all.

1. The forum is embedded in WordPress.
    2. The forum is reachable under /site/forum/#/discussions but
    3. all links point to /forums/entry/emailconfirm/..., /forums/entry/signin etc.

I would say, that
    $Configuration['Garden']['Cookie']['Domain']
    $Configuration['Garden']['Domain']
    $Configuration['Garden']['WebRoot']
    $Configuration['Garden']['StripWebRoot']

and the like would have to be set up correctly.

• SpacingSpacing New
    edited May 2016

@vrijvlinder, No I absolutely agree with that, its just both not feasible for our community to use the paid version both for the costs but also the customization and the scope of the project which is much more than forums. If the pricing model was more akin to ipboard or vbulleting that would be something to reconsider.

Thank you for your help nonetheless. Im just really frustrated with all this happening but I still think vanilla is an excellent piece of software that rivals the best forum systems.

As mentioned R_J has tried to help me. I gave him admin access and he posted his findings above.

Basically the whole reason Im using vanilla is for the wordpress plugin. But if there is an out of the box official vanilla plugin for wordpress I would expect that to integrate a bit more straightforward with wordpress and not cause these configuration issues.

As he mentioned

• Vanilla is installed on the root /forums/ directory but is embedded on the /site/forum page of wordpress.
    • Vanilla is set up to be redirected/only reachable through /site/forum/, only the dashboard isn't redirected.
    • On launch Im also planning to have a htaccess rewriterule to rewrite all urls from comp.tf/site/ to comp.tf (the main domain). So the final forum URL would be http://comp.tf/forum/ (the wordpress page, not /forums/ the vanilla installation location)

Not sure any of this has any relevance or might be the cause for this issue.

Nonetheless, I would be ok setting up basic registration even without e-mail confirmation, the problem is, if the Require users to confirm their email addresses (recommended) box is unchecked I get the permission denied error on all users (be it veriefied or not) which is quite strange.

I will toy around with those configurations variables and get back to the thread with more info.