Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Vanilla wordpress plugin not updating latest discussion widget

SpacingSpacing New
edited June 2016 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I've started using vanilla with the wordpress bridge and recently launched a site with it. I've noticed a few problems with the recent discussions widget on wordpress. It doesn't seem to update discussions in real time, it took 5-10 minutes to add a new thread or post to the widget, and now it's not updating at all despite I having it set to include all categories within the forum.

Is there anything I'm missing? It's really annoying because I actually depend a lot on that latest discussions widget to have a good "chemistry" between the site itself and the forum and if it's not updating in real time then it's not really worth it specially if it's a high activity forum.

Edit: Actually just found a separate issue, one of the threads not being added at all is also not appearing in the discussions tab of the forum itself so this isn't a problem with the widget but rather the forum itself, any issue that might be causing this? Nonetheless the real time update issue still persists

Comments

• Options

I figured the reason for one of the threads not appearing on the discussion tab nor on the wordpress widget, it was an announced thread, apparently if a thread is announced it doesn't appear on the discussions tab and thus doesn't appear on the latest discussion widget. Why is this default behavior for announced/sticky threads? It definitely shouldn't be.

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Announced discussions are used for a wide variety on tasks. I would wager that most of those tasks involve being announced for a long time and closed to discussion after a certain point.

In that use case, it makes sense to not have the announcements in the latest discussions widget.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

@hgtonight said:
    Announced discussions are used for a wide variety on tasks. I would wager that most of those tasks involve being announced for a long time and closed to discussion after a certain point.

In that use case, it makes sense to not have the announcements in the latest discussions widget.

In my experience managing online communities and forums in the past, sticky (announced) threads are 1 of 2 cases. IE: rules, announcements, tutorials etc that dont necessarily have much activity but have information needed at the top. Or threads that have had so much activity and represent such a relevant "discussion" they are stickied. While still being very active. In my experience case 2 has as much usage as the first one. And this should definitely bet customizable.

And they definitely shouldn't be removed entirely from the discussions page, that means even if theres an active announced thread, theres no indication of it other than the subforum that thread is announced.

Also btw, would this be a modification easy to make for my personal use?