Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Forgot Password link broken after changing Login Page

I don't know what changed and whether it's a plugin breaking this or a new change, but I have added '\entry\signin.php' that's inside my bittersweet folder. I added this signin page to account for the new sign in page look on my login page, but it seems to have somehow broken the password reset button.

Any tips on how to fix this? I'm really struggling with putting in the proper urls in relative referencing for Vanilla.

Clicking Forgot? does this:

Also, how can I edit the menu header to remove Activity tab and add Market Place tab?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin
    Answer ✓

@okhawaja said:
    @R_J I created the Signin.php under the new view folder in my new themes folder, but now I can't get the bittersweet theme I had before, so to counter that I took files from bittersweet and put them into my theme's folder and it works. Kind of merged my signin.php with the bittersweet theme...

Congratulations! That's how it is done ;)

The best thing for the beginning is cherry picking and changing small things. Download a number of themes and plugins and use them as a resource for examples.

Vanilla uses a master template ("default.master.tpl") for the overall layout: header, footer, panel, content. This one uses Smarty. There are several Smarty functions available (see /library/vendors/SmartyPlugins). There are some discussions on how to create custom Smarty functions for a theme.

Then you have css. If you put a style.css in your custom themes design folder, it will override Vanillas style.css, which holds the standard theme styling.
    If you create a custom.css, it will be added automatically to your theme.
    If you want some "fancy.css" to be loaded on every page, you can either use a) a normal html tag in the default.master.tpl b) some Smarty function to add the css as an asset (at least I would assume that) or c) use a themehooks file and add it with a function base_render_before. I would recommend using a css preprocessor and always use custom.css as the name.

Customizing is in many ways programming. If you activate the plugin "eventi", you get an idea where you can change output with code. Find out the name of the event and look for examples in the existing plugins. You create a function in the themehooks file and change something/add something there.

Understandig where a view comes from is a big step forward. If you know where to find the view that you like to influence helps you finding out the events fired. At the beginning a full text search over the complete folder is what you need most to navigate to where you find useful information (to be honest: fulltext search is what I still use very often!)

Answers

• I just ended up editing signin.php inside of dashboard views/entry and that was a MUCH simpler fix than trying to edit themes.......I think I am starting to get the hang of Vanilla editing.......Now if I can just figure out where the header menu is for purpose of editing then that's my next step.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited June 2016

You should never edit the core files. That is not the way either :(

The way to edit your theme is by editing the default.master.tpl or php template and the custom.css files in your custom theme.

Editing core files will also give you problems when there is an update your changes will be overwritten and you will need to do that editing again.

There really is no need to edit the view of the core files, most everything can be done with css .

• I needed to change my login/sign in page and I couldn't figure out where except the entry/signin.php file, so that's where I edited it......I wish there was a document for documenting how to change different parts of vanilla....

The one big difficulty I am having is I see and all these tags, but how do I figure out how to edit them? I think I read about them being Smarty, but I have no clue what that is or how to edit "Smarty".

Anything that has to do with style and how things look , you change using CSS

Anything that has to do with functionality you change using Plugins or Applications

You need to be specific as to what you want to change and provide a link to the site sand any pertinent plugins you might have enabled.

We really can't guess very well without this information.

I needed to change my login/sign

How did you need to change it ?

I wish there was a document for documenting how to change different parts of vanilla….

There actually is, and there also is a Tutorial Category with all the info

The one big difficulty I am having is I see and all these tags, but how do I figure out how to edit them?

What Tags? As I said , if it's about how something looks you need to edit the CSS file of the theme you are using.

If it's the html then you need to create a plugin or add theme hooks. All this is explained one million five hundred times on this forum at least. So you should be able to find the info.

I think I read about them being Smarty, but I have no clue what that is or how to edit "Smarty".

Then I recommend you go to the http://www.smarty.net website and get acquainted .

It could not hurt.

• @R_J I created the Signin.php under the new view folder in my new themes folder, but now I can't get the bittersweet theme I had before, so to counter that I took files from bittersweet and put them into my theme's folder and it works. Kind of merged my signin.php with the bittersweet theme.....I've developed so many websites and portals, but it's so confusing how Vanilla works....Entry? Views? Themes? the way these things hook into each other and how they work is what's confusing. I'll check out the Smarty site that @vrijvlinder shared because I suspect that's what I need to edit the head/foot tags of the default template files.....

I don't really understand how you add custom css to Vanilla. I do know there is a file called custom.css that has a bunch of css for different parts of the Vanilla site and that's what I try to edit when I can.

I did read through a couple of the tutorials such as how to edit Vanilla, but guess what? That particular tutorial points you to 10 web development tutorials on how to create html/css/php/js etc., and I've said it before and I'll say it again-- I know how to build websites front-end and back-end, but Vanilla is a completely different thing...The simple fact it uses php to generate html is what makes everything x10 more difficult because you can't edit Vanilla the way you edit traditional html/php files. So constantly pointing people to html/css/php tutorials is going to do no good if your true intention is to help them learn Vanilla because Vanilla's structure is what makes it difficult for newbies. I've built nice javascript/html/css/php websites, but to make the equivalent on Vanilla for me is like ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

If I can figure out Vanilla then I intend to make a tutorial for beginners on how to actually edit Vanilla when you're coming from a web developer background because that's what I think most new people like myself struggle with. There is a long article about how Vanilla is MVC and that changes how it's edited. Until then I'll read up on the Smarty templates and see how to add hooks/plugins.

@okhawaja said:
    I don't really understand how you add custom css to Vanilla. I do know there is a file called >custom.css that has a bunch of css for different parts of the Vanilla site and that's what I >try to edit when I can.

It used be more complicated but now there is the CSSEDIT plugin and the HTMLEDIT plugin

I know how to build websites front-end and back-end, but Vanilla is a completely >different thing...The simple fact it uses php to generate html is what makes everything x10 >more difficult because you can't edit Vanilla the way you edit traditional html/php files.

It is meant to make building websites more functional instead of having to write 200 html lines. PHP is very important to learn now days. Everything runs on it.

So constantly pointing people to html/css/php tutorials is going to do no good if your true >intention is to help them learn Vanilla because Vanilla's structure is what makes it difficult >for newbies.

We try as best as we can to give the information needed but we can't guess what you already know and understand, if you say you have no coding experience, you need to start from the bottom, this is not a school, you kind of have to either already know something or make the effort to understand it yourself by reading the info. Vanilla is the easiest to work with and edit and develop and extend even for a new person. I thought I knew how to make websites and had to learn a whole bunch of things I am still in learning mode 4 years later. You can't expect to know everything overnight or that it is explained to you in one discussion. That is why we give links to the information. That is why we took the time to write the tutorials.
    There is much to learn, but it is very straightforward.

If I can figure out Vanilla then I intend to make a tutorial for beginners on how to actually >edit Vanilla when you're coming from a web developer background because that's what I >think most new people like myself struggle with. There is a long article about how Vanilla is >MVC and that changes how it's edited. Until then I'll read up on the Smarty templates and >see how to add hooks/plugins.

I recommend you study plugins and themes and that is how you will figure it out.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin
    Answer ✓

@okhawaja said:
    @R_J I created the Signin.php under the new view folder in my new themes folder, but now I can't get the bittersweet theme I had before, so to counter that I took files from bittersweet and put them into my theme's folder and it works. Kind of merged my signin.php with the bittersweet theme...

Congratulations! That's how it is done ;)

The best thing for the beginning is cherry picking and changing small things. Download a number of themes and plugins and use them as a resource for examples.

Vanilla uses a master template ("default.master.tpl") for the overall layout: header, footer, panel, content. This one uses Smarty. There are several Smarty functions available (see /library/vendors/SmartyPlugins). There are some discussions on how to create custom Smarty functions for a theme.

Then you have css. If you put a style.css in your custom themes design folder, it will override Vanillas style.css, which holds the standard theme styling.
    If you create a custom.css, it will be added automatically to your theme.
    If you want some "fancy.css" to be loaded on every page, you can either use a) a normal html tag in the default.master.tpl b) some Smarty function to add the css as an asset (at least I would assume that) or c) use a themehooks file and add it with a function base_render_before. I would recommend using a css preprocessor and always use custom.css as the name.

Customizing is in many ways programming. If you activate the plugin "eventi", you get an idea where you can change output with code. Find out the name of the event and look for examples in the existing plugins. You create a function in the themehooks file and change something/add something there.

Understandig where a view comes from is a big step forward. If you know where to find the view that you like to influence helps you finding out the events fired. At the beginning a full text search over the complete folder is what you need most to navigate to where you find useful information (to be honest: fulltext search is what I still use very often!)

• @vrijvlinder said:
    Cloning an entry view is not a good idea if you are doing it just for style… These are the typical problems that can arise when cloning certain views into your theme.

The code looks exactly the same, so I don't understand how cloning entry/signin.php into my themes lets everything including login work, but the Forgot password link doesn't work.....The enter username/email box doesn't appear after I click Forgot.

Here is what I mean:

I clicked Forgot at entry/signin and then I get this instead of the enter username/email: