Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Can I natively edit user titles?

dmsingerdmsinger New
edited July 2016 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I imported my forum from vBulletin. All of the users had their user titles from vBulletin, which would change depending on certain stats (length of membership, post count, etc.).

It's nice to see them, but I can't see any way to edit or configure them. They're labeled AuthorTitle in the of the html.

I'm using the community version. Is this some accidental carryover that's only available in the hosted version?

I also noticed this addon: https://vanillaforums.org/addon/yagarankinmeta-plugin
@hgtonight would this edit/configure the same field? Would be a most convenient addition if so.

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

You can active the plugin ProfileExtender and create a field called "Title". Check "Show on profiles" and every user will be edit his current title.

• Thank you. I have that going already, so an easy add. I'm not looking to have it be user-defined as much as system-defined, but it at least gives us an easy-editing option at the moment.

So you only want to edit the title in the dashboard? Wrap this in a plugin:

public function userController_customUserFields_handler($sender, $args) {
            echo '<li>';
            echo $sender->Form->label(t('Title'), 'Title');
            echo $sender->Form->textBox('Title', ['class' => 'InputBox']);
            echo '</li>';
        }

Vanilla has some magic. If possible, all fields in a form will be saved to the table that is connected with that form. The user edit form is connected to the user table and there is a column called "Title" in "GDN_User". That's why simply adding a form field is enough in this case.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@dmsinger said:

I also noticed this addon: https://vanillaforums.org/addon/yagarankinmeta-plugin
    @hgtonight would this edit/configure the same field? Would be a most convenient addition if so.

Along with Yaga, this would provide the same functionality.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Thanks @hgtonight just wondering if I'll have to suppress the current title, or if Yaga uses the same field.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@dmsinger said:
    Thanks @hgtonight just wondering if I'll have to suppress the current title, or if Yaga uses the same field.

Different field. Do you know the name of the DB field this uses? I love integrating with the core components if possible.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

@dmsinger said:
    Thank you. I have that going already, so an easy add. I'm not looking to have it be user-defined as much as system-defined, but it at least gives us an easy-editing option at the moment.

Based on that answer to my suggestion, I guess it is the Title column in the User table

• @R_J said:

@dmsinger said:
    Thank you. I have that going already, so an easy add. I'm not looking to have it be user-defined as much as system-defined, but it at least gives us an easy-editing option at the moment.

Based on that answer to my suggestion, I guess it is the Title column in the User table

@hgtonight I see it there, like @R_J said. In the User table there's a column called "Title". varchar, 100 length.